Can't get Live/Install CD to work. What am I doing wrong?

More
06 Jan 2019 21:48 #123648 by tommylight
I use DD and it always works, wheezy and stretch. Must have done that over 30 times.
Disable UEFI in bios, that is the only thing i can think of that could mess it up. I disable that on every computer i lay my hands on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2019 13:07 #123702 by andypugh

I have used Apple dd many times, so it definitely can work for this..

Actually, I have just remembered that all the recent times I used dd it was to make boot-cards for things like Pi's

The last time I wanted to do a scratch install of LinuxCNC I ended up giving up with USB sticks and buying a USB DVD drive.

www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessor...ck-21856102-pdt.html

I think. Then the installation went smoothly.

More
07 Jan 2019 13:16 - 07 Jan 2019 13:16 #123704 by rodw
I too had plenty of failures writing USB sticks but never with Win32DiskImager (or burning a DVD/CD). I did read there was an issue with the Linux tools...
Last edit: 07 Jan 2019 13:16 by rodw.

More
21 Jan 2019 18:25 #124558 by TRAUPMANN00
No matter what I so with Win32DiskImager, it corrupts the USB. I have tried 3 different sticks, and ex-FAT, FAT32, and FAT and all are corrupted where Win10 wants to Reformat them. Taken to the Linux computer they are unreadable! Any more suggestions, I am all ears!

More
21 Jan 2019 18:53 #124560 by Todd Zuercher
Not sure what to say. Win32DiskImager has always worked for me without any extraordinary effort (Windows 7-64-bit). Make sure your image files you've downloaded are good and not corrupted.

More
21 Jan 2019 20:39 #124565 by andypugh
How do you know that they are corrupted?

Is there any chance that you have some of the very cheap USB sticks that over-state their physical size?
www.novatech.co.uk/blog/ebay-fake-capacity-usb-sticks/
That said, even a fake drive should be big enough for the Live Image.

More
21 Jan 2019 21:29 #124567 by tommylight

No matter what I so with Win32DiskImager, it corrupts the USB. I have tried 3 different sticks, and ex-FAT, FAT32, and FAT and all are corrupted where Win10 wants to Reformat them. Taken to the Linux computer they are unreadable! Any more suggestions, I am all ears!

That is all normal for a hybrid image. Did you try to boot from it? You should set that in the mainboards BIOS as the first thing to do and disable UEFI if the mainboard has it.
You can try pressing F9 on HP computes or F12 on most other computers for a menu of what to use as a boot device. Some rare models use F11.

More
21 Jan 2019 22:20 #124572 by Clive S

You can try pressing F9 on HP computes or F12 on most other computers for a menu of what to use as a boot device. Some rare models use F11.

I have found some also use F2

More
22 Jan 2019 00:30 #124577 by Leon82
I've had errors in the past from the bios whitelisting certain Linus distro.
10.04 worked but 11 didn't.

There was a setting in the bios that appently has to do with Windows.

Also I always hit del to enter the bios and pick boot override

More
22 Jan 2019 00:33 #124580 by TRAUPMANN00
Well, stupidity and a very foggy brain have helped to complicate this much more than it needed to be. I was using too small of a USB stick. Almost large enough, but not quite! There was no warning and no action. I used a larger USB stick and it worked. Sorry for the trouble! But thanks for the assistance.

Time to create page: 0.316 seconds