what computer works with preempt_rt kernels

More
10 Dec 2018 16:39 #122147 by Millerman
I need a computer that is known to work out of the box that is currently available.

I have a Jetway HJBC377F531W - Braswell Celeron N3160 - 4gb ram - 128gb M.2 sata hd -
Dual NIC's, lots of USB, Serial ports, I want to like it but it just seems not to want to run the RT kernel

I have installed:
1- Stretch from the ISO's
2 - installed stretch from just a debian generic Iso
3 - Ubuntu - built the kernel and linuxcnc from source
4 - Linux Mint 18.1- updated all the kernels
5 - Linux Mint LMDE3 - really was liking this solution - was fast - nice looking - easy install with synaptic pacakge manager for most

All these flavors work great until I used grub and loaded up the RT kernels - all would freeze with minutes of starting up - sometimes seconds - very frustrating -

then to top it all off somewhere along the way my bios is no longer available at startup - something to do with the uefi stuff I think - so I need to clear the bios and start over somehow -

Sooooo.........
Is there a computer that you guys are running that just works great with the preempt_rt kernels ?
I am using or planning to use (I have it already) 7i96 board

Once built we might be building up to 10 similar machines over the a yr or 2 - thats why i want a currently available computer model - I don't want to try and track down an older outdated unit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2018 14:41 #122446 by pl7i92
i got a ACER EQ35M
Workes great no Problem on Mesa Network 7i92m

More
30 Jan 2019 09:17 #125265 by bob8020
Great news - Linuxcnc 2.8.0-pre1 with a 4.19.15-rt12 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT kernel is working well on a Jetway Fanless Braswell Celeron N3160 Dual LAN.

After installing Debian 9 Stretch, I ran into the *exact* same issues as Millerman, the base Debian 9 install works fine, but upon switching to the PREEMPT-RT kernel, after somewhere between a few seconds and a few minutes, it just hangs. Tried all the same distributions as the OP, with identical unhappy results.

Then I tried building a 4.19.15 kernel with the 4.19.15-rt12 patches. With fingers crossed, booted into it on the otherwise stock Debian 9.7 Stretch and it is working. After running with no problems for a day, I downloaded linuxcnc 2.8.0-pre1 from Master and did a RIP build from source. That worked just fine too, so I copied over a 2.7 config and started up 2.8...

The 2.8 conversion script worked rather well, just needed a few manual edits to get a working dual motor gantry configuration (XYYZ), I very much like the 2.8 joints scheme for dual motor gantry setup, it feels very logical.

With absolutely no tweaking, latency-test is showing a Servo thread max jitter around 40,000 ns but once I saw a bit over 100,000 ns. Need to spend some time seeing if this can be improved.

This setup is using a Mesa 7i76 and a few test cuts all ran OK. In summary, the OP's Jetway may well be OK for Linuxcnc after all.

For reference, I used this kernel:

mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/linux-4.19.15.tar.gz

and this RT patch:

mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/4.19/patch-4.19.15-rt12.patch.gz

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds