Linux accepts no input after booting.

More
05 Feb 2019 14:30 #125734 by Soundreflections
I have just installed LinuxCNC on a new machine to use with my mill that I am converting, but when Linux has booted, either in graphic mode, or recovery console it accepts no keyboard or mouse input.
The boot menu accepts input with no problem, as does BIOS.
I have moved the keyboard and mouse to all 10 USB ports I could find with no result.
When the screensaver kicks in it does not switch off for keyboard or mouse input.
I have removed both PCI paralell ports and the PCI network card (Linux wouldn't see my onboard card) and it still does the same.
Main board is an Asus Prime H370M-Plus,
CPU is Intel, but I cannot remember which - can look it up if needed.
I would appreciate any input as this is very frustrating!
Peet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2019 14:55 #125737 by Soundreflections
Update:
I suspect a USB problem - when I move my keyboard / mouse receiver to any USB port it never gets a link, though a USB light is always powered, so it is not a power problem.
Moving the receiver to my laptop USB port, or before Linux has booted it gets a connection shortly after plugging in.

More
05 Feb 2019 15:20 #125741 by Todd Zuercher
Are you using the Debian 7 (Wheezy) version of Linuxcnc?

Just a guess but, perhaps you need to have a newer OS to recognize your hardware?

I'm not a big fan of wireless keyboards or mice.

More
05 Feb 2019 15:24 #125742 by Soundreflections
I am using linuxcnc-2.7-wheezy, which I thought was the latest?
I downloaded it towards the end of December.
I will try wired keyboard and mouse - I usually use a trackball and keyboard, both wired, for CNC, but as I am still just setting up I thought I would stick to cordless convenience for now.

More
05 Feb 2019 15:37 #125745 by Soundreflections
I have now done further testing using a wired keyboard.
As soon as it gets past the boot menu, ie. I have accepted the boot, the NUM lock light goes off and I cannot get NUM or CAPS lock to function.
I have also found that pressing the power switch performs a normal power down, but on screen it ends saying power off, but the system stays running.

More
05 Feb 2019 15:53 - 05 Feb 2019 15:53 #125746 by PCW
I would echo Todd here, I think your hardware is too new for Wheezy
You might try the Stretch test ISO:

www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/
Last edit: 05 Feb 2019 15:53 by PCW.

More
05 Feb 2019 15:57 #125747 by Todd Zuercher
That is the latest Linuxcnc iso release, but Wheezy has been EOL for a short time, and it is beginning to show its age in lack of support for new hardware.

You may want to give the new Debian 9 based iso a try. Unfortunately it is only a Preempt-RT kernal, so latency may not be quite as good as you could get with the older RTAI one. (jitter might be 10000ns vs 5000ns, or your results might be completely different.)
www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/
(Don't be put off by the word testing in the url, it has been running a lot of machines for the last 6 months or so.)

More
05 Feb 2019 17:48 #125751 by Soundreflections
Thank you, I am now downloading linuxcnc-stretch-uspace-amd64.iso 27-Oct-2018 17:57 1.2G.
Not sure if -R13 would be better, but this one and -R13 have the same date and time stamp.

More
05 Feb 2019 19:12 #125756 by Todd Zuercher
They are the same. The link to the one your're down loading is simply a link to what ever is the latest one. (which right now happens to be r13)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soundreflections

More
06 Feb 2019 13:58 #125809 by Soundreflections
Thanks for all the replies - it seems to all work now!
Now to figure out how to create a machine! I realise it is about 6-7 years since I set my lathe up and I probably need to upgrade it to this version as well, but I recall having to enter the parameters manually, whilst now it seems to be selecting configs, but I have not RTMd yet and it is not for this thread.
Thanks for all inputs on getting sorted!

Time to create page: 0.384 seconds