linuxcnc-2.7-wheezy.iso actually distribution update errors

More
05 Apr 2019 16:38 #130350 by TKR
Hello all,

let me quickly give you an update on my situation (and the reason for asking):

-- Using the uspace-version-image works perfectly as far as i can tell from now. Mesa cards are going to arrive soon then i will give it a final try. Im quite certain it will work though! Thanks a lot for the hint, really easy to use!

-- I tried the mirrors, but i did not seem to get the syntax right. My sources.list had some http or ftp written before the mirors (can not check it cause it is deleted by now;)) i found on that page. So i was confused and wanted to see how it is put correctly, syntax wise. I found out that the prefix with an additional ftp or http seems to be some kind of proxy-mirror-stuff. Does anyone have more information on that?

--Additionally i wanted to find out if it is me beeing not able to update Linux properly anymore (my fault) or if sth. is wrong with linux itsself concerning updates. Can someone quickly explain how and why that error occured? Packages were moved on the server and linuxcnc did not get that information, as far as i understood? Why does that happen? If that is the reason, will all linuxcnc users (updating their system) will run into that problem soon? And will the sources list be updated in the next version to fix that? Again: I'm just curious to learn more about linux, my initial Problem is solved!

Thanks a lot for your help!

Tobi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2019 17:32 - 05 Apr 2019 17:34 #130360 by InMyDarkestHour
The 2.7 is old(ish)

The repos have changed due to Debian making a decision. (the easy explanation)
The post previous to yours explains it ;)
To fix this issue the wheezy iso would need to be remastered to reflect those changes.

The stretch versions are good and the sources are current.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2019 17:34 by InMyDarkestHour.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TKR

More
05 Apr 2019 21:30 #130371 by TKR
Alright, thanks, got it now! :)
I will keep you updated on the mesa-lathe project i'll start with a friend soon!

See you, Tobi

More
11 Apr 2019 18:44 #130683 by HolgerT
Hi,

I run into the wheezy update problem today, too.

You wrote:

if you do a new install consider to use Uspace
from here www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/

The 2.7 is old(ish)
The stretch versions are good and the sources are current.

... but on github.com/jepler/stretch-live-build you can read under "known limitations:"
"On most systems, the "preempt-rt" kernel is not suitable for software step generation".

So my machine is controlled by LPT port. What actual CD/DVD-image can I use for a fresh install?

Thanky for your help.
br
Holger

More
11 Apr 2019 19:02 #130686 by TKR
Hi HolgerT,

when using the LPT-Port the strech-live-build is not a good choice. I tested latency and compared the "original" linux CNC Distribution i got around a factor of 4 worse latencies (if i remember correctly). This strech-live-version with uspace support should only be used and needed when using cards with an external step generator, like some of the mesa cards for example as far as i understood.

So in my opinion you should go with the standard version, which has a better LPT-Support in that sense (due to the different kernel):
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-start...etting-linuxcnc.html

Here it is the etc/apt/sources.list file that needs to be changed as far as i understood. But i cannot tell you the exact synatax that is working in the end. As AnnoyingMutt stated, the wheezy-image would have to be remastered for the end user not to have to change that file manually.

Im quite new to the depths of Linux CNC myself, so i hope my statements are correct but use it with care. Maybe an expert will go into more detail! ;)

See you, Tobi
The following user(s) said Thank You: HolgerT

More
11 Apr 2019 19:18 #130688 by InMyDarkestHour
deb archive.debian.org/debian/ wheezy contrib main non-free
deb archive.debian.org/debian-security/ wheezy/updates contrib main non-free
The following user(s) said Thank You: HolgerT

More
11 Apr 2019 22:40 #130697 by andypugh
You should try Stretch / preempt-rt anyway, I have a machine where it is perfectly acceptable. (<5000 nS latency)
The following user(s) said Thank You: partec

More
12 Apr 2019 00:51 #130705 by partec
Live/Install for Debian Stretch, RT-PREEMPT, LinuxCNC 2.7.x
www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreem...uspace-amd64-r13.iso
works fine including use of samba

LPT with Axis works perfect

for installing CamPY for LinuxCNC - Camera Edge Finder
as nicbit wrote in category debian-stretch-tricks
please install python-apt using the command:
sudo apt install python-apt

works perfect

More
12 Apr 2019 03:21 #130714 by HolgerT
Hi,
as TKR confirms my fears about usage of RT-PREEMPT and AnnoyingMutt shared links to wheezy sources,
so I'll use wheezy with edited /etc/apt/sources.list (attached the edited list - unzip before use). This works fine.

To get it working give the commands (in terminal):
cd /path/to/your/new/sources.list
sudo mv /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.orig
sudo cp sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list 
cat /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-get -o Acquire::Check-Valid-Until=false update

Check-Valid-Until=false is needed, because some release file has been expired.

br
Holger
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blackwind

More
13 Apr 2019 15:58 #130777 by richard123
I need to make some changes in the kinematics file so it will suit my corexy system. It means I have to be able to install linuxcnc -dev. Is this process can be done with this version of linuxcnc and debian iso file?

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds