Live is working, but install fails - asrock Q1900-ITX

More
18 Apr 2019 17:15 #131171 by Puma10
Hello, new user....

I have 2.7.14 on a DVD which will run the live version without any problems. Latency test seems ok (12982/14583) and everything works while running "live." Proceeded to installation.....

The problem that I have is the installation step fails, but there is no message to hint what the problem is. I tried the failsafe install and it too fails at the same place (ie, I get past the network, domain and user name, time and disk partition, install starts and runs for about 3 minutes, then fails).

I am sure the answer is out there but I am lacking the Linux know how. This is an asrock Q1900-ITX, which I chose because people are reporting this mother board works well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2019 20:26 - 18 Apr 2019 20:38 #131182 by InMyDarkestHour
CTRL-ALT-F4 should give you a terminal with debug info

CTRL-ALT-F5 brings you back to the GUI

The fail message from the GUI would also help
Last edit: 18 Apr 2019 20:38 by InMyDarkestHour.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Puma10

More
19 Apr 2019 06:44 #131222 by pl7i92
you got the right board
what harddrive do you got
is it at Sata-2 as some report fail on other then block A

More
19 Apr 2019 08:00 #131228 by Puma10
Want to say thank you for replying. I have been reading on this forum for some time & seems like a lot of good folks here sharing their knowledge. Much appreciated.

1/ Debug message: "Configuring 'live-installer' failed with error code 1." I did get a photo of the screen that I could post if need be.
control-alt-f4/5, thanks for that!

2/ HD a single unit solid state (samsung) plugged in the SATA1 connector. From what I can gather in UEFI, the HD status is ok. UEFI is set for "legacy" but again, I'm not really that up to date on computer building (or fixing, but ok at breaking), so any suggestions what I can try, I'm all ears.

Question: wheezy will run on both 32 and 64 bit systems? This MB is supposed to be ok for either, I think, link is below...

I downloaded the stretch amd64 iso from the link below, checked the md5 check sum and burnt a DVD.......... works in live version, but with this too, I get a (different) issue with installation. With this attempt the error is "debootstrap error: failed to determine the codename for the release"..... any thoughts on that?

www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/

www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Q1900-ITX/

More
19 Apr 2019 08:18 #131229 by InMyDarkestHour
Are you by any chance installing without an Ethernet cable plugged in ?

More
19 Apr 2019 16:27 #131247 by Puma10
Correct, no ethernet cable. Is it required?

More
19 Apr 2019 16:53 #131249 by Clive S

Correct, no ethernet cable. Is it required?

If I am not mistaken you need to be connected to the net for the installation to work correctly

More
20 Apr 2019 08:10 #131281 by Puma10
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It did install without issues once I plugged into a LAN.

I used "linuxcnc-stretch-uspace-amd64-r12.iso" on this system from here: www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/

If anyone is reading this who (like me) knows zero about linuxcnc and is trying to get the first steps, I found the following youtube videos helpful:

(shows debian stretch install)

(shows how to download, do the check sum, and make a bootable DVD or USB drive)

More
20 Apr 2019 10:35 #131291 by InMyDarkestHour
Great info mate :)

One thing I gotta stress and I've mentioned in a million times before, is that when creating a bootable USB stick under Windows use win32diskimager.........Other utilities try to be too smart by far.

sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds