Diagnosing Installation Step Failed

More
13 May 2019 23:40 #133667 by AussieIan
Hi, my first post:) .

I am trying to install LinuxCNC (2.7) on a Dell Optiplex 755 (details below). I am probably making a newbie mistake and I would really appreciate some help in getting things going.
I downloaded the latest version (2.714) and did a checksum (sha256sum linuxcnc-2.7-wheezy.iso) and it is a good download.
I have tried install (Graphical) 5 times without success and have been searching this forum, and google in general for 6 hours over two days with no solution in site.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM
All goes well initially, hooks up to my network, it wipes and partitions the hard drive.
Then if fails after about 14 minutes when “Installing the System…”
The error “Installation Step Failed” really doesn’t give me a clue as to what went wrong.
I have included the four log files that it generates. Hopefully a smart sleuth can figure out what mistake I am making.
Many thanks for helping.
Below are the Computer Specs.
Dell Optiplex 755 SFF(Small Form Factor)
4mb RAM
160GB hard drive
BenQ Senseyes monitor GW2450
DVD
Graphics Card: 109-A2600-00 ATI Radeon X300 64MB PCI Express DVI/ S-Video Video Graphics Card
Original Bios. Version A3 (03/02/09) Only change I made to the bios was to set the LTP port to EPP.

Cheers,
Ian
Aussie enjoying Oregon

File Attachment:

File Name: Xorg.0.log.txt
File Size:20 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: hardware-summary.txt
File Size:21 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: partman.txt
File Size:105 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: syslog.txt
File Size:142 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2019 01:19 #133673 by InMyDarkestHour
There would appear to be an error in reading the squashfs filesystem, as noted numerous times in the syslog.
This would point to either a corruption in the downloaded iso, a corruption whilst writing the image to the boot media (if on windows one would hoped you used win32diskimager if USB) or reading from the boot media whilst the install is running.

I would check the md5sum of the image, google will point you in the right direction, if that is ok I would attempt the rewrite the image to another USB stick or DVD.

Installation will also require a live internet connection.

More
14 May 2019 02:29 #133675 by AussieIan
Thanks for your advice. I will follow it and report back. Cheers, Ian.

More
14 May 2019 02:58 #133676 by AussieIan
Thanks so much, you helped me in my darkest hour!! Even though I had verified the download there was a problem copying it to the CD. I burnt it to a USB and all is working.

More
14 May 2019 03:49 #133677 by InMyDarkestHour
No probs mate

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds