Help me understand: relation between LinuxCNC and Linux OSs.

More
28 May 2019 02:11 - 28 May 2019 02:14 #135109 by clunc
Tommy,

Well, I'm actually thinking in terms of "data breaches", and in this way: "If 'they' can break into and steal info from servers of very heavy hitters with way more money for security measures than I have, my machine is probably vulnerable too, and I too probably should be thinking about security more often."

I've got a fairly homogeneous, family, network. Most everyone runs Linux, all Ubuntu, and all-but-a-couple the same version. I don't believe the firewalls are really more at risk than Linux because there is so little to them--so much less to be hacked, but while I may disagree with you in some specifics, I agree with your general sentiment that security concerns are mostly overblown.

I have not heard of a hacked LinuxCNC system, but I sure as heck have known people whose home computers got viruses, but again, none Linux.

Your reports of the Old Stuff you're still running are especially calming, and in effect, I guess I was expecting one of the answers to my questions was going to be, "Find a level of technology that meets your needs and Stop Upgrading." In fact, I actually tried that at one point with an earlier CNC system, only to find out that as my computer hardware components failed, I could not find modern replacements, forcing me out of my comfortable "stand pat" solution. In fact, the experience persuaded me that if I didn't plan on hardware failure, I was gonna end up worse snakebit than if I did, and that was probably the underlying motivation for the post.

I appreciate you adding your own advice to learn how to compile LinuxCNC to Rod's. I look forward to being free. Well, free-er.

Thanks.
Last edit: 28 May 2019 02:14 by clunc. Reason: elaboration

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2019 04:53 #138089 by RayJr
Don't fall for the deception that large corporations have the best security.
It is very expensive (in many ways) to do it correctly. And they will stop spending money, time, and loose patience before the system is truly secure. They also often fall very short on employee training.

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it"

Albert Einstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
01 Jul 2019 12:04 #138294 by andypugh

TI have not heard of a hacked LinuxCNC system, but I sure as heck have known people whose home computers got viruses, but again, none Linux.

Somebody hacked my LinuxCNC controller once.

I was machining in the workshop when the mouse pointer started to move and someone opened a web browser window.
I pulled the network cable out immediately.
But... I was running a very insecure VNC link to that machine. I had not figured out any way to VNC with security, as all password and ssh approaches that I tried had failed to connect between my LinuxCNC machine and my Mac.
So, someone had probably connected to my WiFi and then found an open VNC port. I don't _think_ that they had come in from the larger internet (no connection showed in the logs)
Naturally I immediately changed the WiFi password and security mode and disabled VNC completely.

More
01 Jul 2019 14:08 #138302 by tommylight
I do have a laptop with active VNC for over 3 years, 24h ON, but i tend to change wifi passwords often so never had such issues.
Whenever i have to use VNC to connect to a remote server, i log in to the firewall and forward the VNC port, connect>do whatever needs to be done>disable the forwarding on the firewall and log out.
Also that is a local attack, not hacking per se, VNC has a tendency to propagate over the local network so it is easy to find, and it is secured only by a password, again easy to brute force.
BTW, do you happen to have any picture of you when you saw the mouse moving ??? :)

More
01 Jul 2019 16:26 #138308 by clunc
So... ...back in my other thread , for a time, it looked like I was going to have to build a new LinuxCNC machine and advices were offered about options for going about doing that.

Rod was really high on the idea of compiling from source otoh but suggestions to "just download, burn, and boot the ISO image" were also there.

Having thunk some on it--and daydreaming about what it must be like to be a ninja--I want to ask:
Does compiling from source decouple the LinuxCNC version from dependence on the Linux version?

Thanks,
David

More
01 Jul 2019 18:08 #138322 by pl7i92
Does compiling from source decouple the LinuxCNC version from dependence on the Linux version?

NO
you need the NEWEST Kernal ad all the new stuff to get the latest
#
so it is even more advanced then the ISO

More
01 Jul 2019 20:11 #138330 by BigJohnT

Having thunk some on it--and daydreaming about what it must be like to be a ninja--I want to ask:

Thanks,
David

LinuxCNC depends on libraries if all the dependences are met and you have a real time kernel things usually work out. I'm running everything from Ubuntu 10.04 with the latest 2.7, Linux Mint, Debian 9 and have built LinuxCNC on many debian OS's including Ubuntu-Mate and Lubuntu.

All sorts of options are here gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/uspace/

I used to prefer Linux Mint but now that Debian 9 has the Mate desktop it doesn't matter any more to me which one I use except Debian 9 can get updates to LinuxCNC without having to build LinuxCNC.

JT

More
01 Jul 2019 22:58 - 01 Jul 2019 23:03 #138344 by clunc
Thanks for weighing in John with the link to your gnipsel, where incidentally I have spent many a happy hour daydreaming... The options there carry LinuxCNC safely into "modern" times :^) and your comment:

"LinuxCNC depends on libraries; if all the dependences are met and you have a real time kernel things usually work out."

expresses how to keep it going.

And thanks pl7i92--understood, but taken in light of BigJohn's comment above.

[@andypugh--I understand there may be no photos which captured your expression, but the situation reminded me of the old joke about the captain of the British man-of-war who orders the cabin boy to "fetch my scarlet tunic, that the men may not lose heart if I should happen to catch a French musket ball..." upon seeing a French warship in the lifting fog. When the fog lifts enough for him to realize suddenly that his ship is alone in the middle of a French armada, he changes the order: "Oh, cabin boy! Fetch my BROWN trousers..."]
Last edit: 01 Jul 2019 23:03 by clunc. Reason: Add a Big Joke

More
01 Jul 2019 23:25 #138351 by tommylight
Also Debian 9 with Mate is snappier than Mint with Mate and works better on slower computers, it runs happily on Core2Duo while Mint is a bit sluggish on that same system .
After all that said, I use mostly Mint with Mate.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds