Failed attempt to upgrade to 2.8

More
26 Aug 2019 12:41 #143217 by Elco
As a LinuxCNC beginner (after a Windows XP package), I have been running my CNC for a few years with LinuxCNC, and finally upgraded to 2.7.14

Over the last months I upgraded the machine hardware. Motivated by the 'it's easy' comments in Topic 'Install current master 2.8' tried to do so. Followed the instructions in that topic, and the lines builtbot.linuxorg/wheezy master-rt were already listed in Synaptic-Settings-Repositoryies-Other software list.

Unfortunately after the update started, it kept hanging on some process for python. Could not select and copy list of errors in the terminal output, and after 30 min I terminated the process.

In the update manager, ran checking for updates. message:
An internal error has occurred and the operation has been aborted:

Error message:
Fetch failed: W:Failed to fetch security.debian.org/dists/wheezy ... ce/Sources 404 Not Found [IP: 151.101.240.204 80]
, W:Failed to fetch security.debian.org/dists/wheezy ... ce/Sources 404 Not Found [IP: 151.101.240.204 80]

(and 5 more links)

, E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

I tried to go back to 2.7:
Followed the instructions and reset the package selections to 2.7
in synaptic, found linuxcnc, selected it, and selected 'force version' in from the pull down list. This only listed 10's of 2.9 versions, no 2.7, and generated a long list of errors.

Error messages:
Fetch failed: W:Failed to fetch security.debian.org/dists/wheezy ... ce/Sources 404 Not Found [IP: 151.101.240.204 80]
, W:Failed to fetch security.debian.org/dists/wheezy ... ce/Sources 404 Not Found [IP: 151.101.240.204 80]

(and about 20 more links).

, E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Looks like I am stuck and need to do a clean install.

Is a real kit of 2.8 released soon, or should I just stick with 2.7 and forget further witchcraft?
Is is just a simple desktop CNC machine anyway.

Thanks, Rob.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2019 13:58 #143221 by tommylight
In your case, just stick with it since you do not need features in the new version yet.
Wheezy is not supported anymore so the repos are not active anymore, but they should be somewhere else so do a search for wheezy repositories and change the links in the software sources, if you want to move to 2.8.
You can also download the stretch version with the preempt-rt kernel, that can most probably be upgraded easily. If you are using a parallel port with older hardware, skip this for now as the latency might get worse.

More
28 Aug 2019 21:05 #143485 by andypugh
Another option would be to install the packages here on top of a stock Buster installation:

github.com/andypugh/RTAI/releases

More
29 Aug 2019 09:31 #143542 by Elco
Thanks for the info.
For now, downloaded and reinstalled 2.7.14
Restored settings. All OK.

In the future will take a look at what a Raspberry 4 can do.

Time to create page: 1.201 seconds