Linux Help - Two Network Cards - Mesa 7i92 & LinuxCNC

More
09 Sep 2019 20:54 #144628 by randypetersen
LinuxCNC is running fine, but when I open it up LinuxCNC all other network functions cease. This is normal behavior from my understanding. So what I wanted to do was put in another LAN card into the computer, which I have. One connected directly to the MESA 7i92, and the other connected to my switch/router/network. I do that, but can't seem to get both the network and the 7i92/linuxCNC working at the same time.

Is there a write up on how to configure this anywhere? Do you bridge the network connections? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2019 21:01 #144629 by PCW
For this to work you normally have to have the 7I92 set for 10.10.10.10
IP address so it does not overlap your normal Internet NAT range

Then you need to setup the host interface IP addresses
appropriately for each Ethernet port:

Mesa: 10.10.10.20 static IPV4 only

General internet: dynamic (automatic) from your router

More
More
10 Sep 2019 00:15 #144636 by bevins

LinuxCNC is running fine, but when I open it up LinuxCNC all other network functions cease. This is normal behavior from my understanding. So what I wanted to do was put in another LAN card into the computer, which I have. One connected directly to the MESA 7i92, and the other connected to my switch/router/network. I do that, but can't seem to get both the network and the 7i92/linuxCNC working at the same time.

Is there a write up on how to configure this anywhere? Do you bridge the network connections? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy

You dont want to bridge the connections. You don't want the 10 network able to get to your 192 network or out to internet.
Your 192.168.x.x network needs to have the gateway of your router and your mesa card to have the gateway of your ethernet interface for 10 network.Dont worry about bridging, theres no need to route packets across from one network to the other.

More
10 Sep 2019 01:24 #144640 by randypetersen
Oh ok, thanks, ya, I was using the 192.168.1.121, so there was an overlap. I will try 10.10.10.10

When they both were connected I could get internet, but no connection to MESA in linuxCNC, or the other way around, never both.

Thanks

More
10 Sep 2019 01:25 #144641 by randypetersen
Sorry I missed that, I will go through it when I get back in the shop! Thanks... I did search the forum, but I definitely missed that.

More
10 Sep 2019 01:28 #144643 by randypetersen
Thanks bevins, Initially I wasn't trying to bridge the networks, but I couldn't get both connections working at the same time. I will try changing the IP on the 7i92 and trying to get it to function again. It will be nice to export gcode from my cam software while linuxcnc is running and homed and in the exact position.

More
10 Sep 2019 21:23 #144745 by randypetersen
I followed these instructions.
askubuntu.com/questions/71159/network-ma...s-device-not-managed

I had that problem when I first started working with the MESA as well. The network setting weren't working, but when I changed them in the config file, they did. When I changed that setting in the above link I was able to manage them with the GUI.

Might want to append your stick to state that if the changes made in the Network Manager aren't being applied, to review that link.

So I can now ping the 10.10.10.10 Mesa card! Now, to check out my other LAN card....

More
17 Sep 2019 15:38 #145397 by randypetersen
Got this all working and it's awesome to be able to send files/access network and internet while LinuxCNC is running, should have done that right off the bat.

Samba share working great!

$15 well worth it:
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000TO0BQ/

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds