Touchy or Gscreen will not open on Ubuntu 18 with Prempt Kernel

More
17 Sep 2019 19:12 #145425 by billnixon
One of our machines has an industrial keyboard that is not recognized by Ubuntu 12 or Wheezy. It is recognized by Ubuntu 18. I installed Ubuntu 18, built and installed a kernel, (4.13.13-rt5 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT). The keyboard works. I installed Linuxcnc 2.9. (I wish I would have chosen 2.7.) Axis opens fine, but not touchy or gscreen. Here is the debug file info: Gtk Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module" I installed libglade and now I don't get the same error message, but touchy still doesn't start. I'm wondering if I should start over with Lbuntu or Mint19 and follow JT's recipe? Can I simply delete my Linuxcnc-dev directory and start from installing Linuxcnc again on Ubuntu 18?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2019 22:23 #145459 by andypugh
You might be a bit stuck here, where you need a new Linux to drive the keyboard, and an old one to have the Python and GTK versions that LinuxCNC is currently stuck with.

We need a big effort to move to Py3 and away from PyGTK (etc) but I think that will have to be after 2.8 is released. It's a big re-write.

More
18 Sep 2019 01:14 #145475 by cmorley
Without an error message it's hard to say for sure.
But if it's gtk2 related (sounds like it) you could try to use a package from an older distribution.
Linuxcnc has been doing this for awhile for the GLADE editor.

Chris

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds