Question about gnispel.com instructions for Mint

More
04 Oct 2019 02:05 #147071 by pmconsulting
I'm confused about one step on the page gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/uspace/linuxmint19-rt.html

What does the instruction outlined in red mean? Where should I perform "control - f"? Where am I when I select " Select Fully Preemptible Kernel(RT)"? What am I saving and closing?

Is this one of the files I should edit? If so, what file?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2019 04:18 #147087 by andypugh
make xconfig should bring up a graphical configuration configurator.
The instructions suggest that Ctrl-F in that interface will perform a Find operation to help locate the required configuration switch.

(I have always used menuconfig, which is different)

More
04 Oct 2019 07:42 #147099 by pmconsulting
The instructions should probably be updated to make it clear that a graphical configurator will open. That would have queued me into the need to do this on the machine itself rather that running those instructions through a remote SSH terminal, like I was doing.

My large screen mac is my main computer, so I was copy/pasting stuff from the instructions into a terminal on the mac connected to the linux machine via SSH. That, I thought, would eliminate errors.

Right before the line I outlined in red, it should probably say "The last line (make xconfig) will open a graphical configuration interface."

Then idiots like me will know not to run it from a remote terminal.

More
04 Oct 2019 08:36 #147100 by bevins

The instructions should probably be updated to make it clear that a graphical configurator will open. That would have queued me into the need to do this on the machine itself rather that running those instructions through a remote SSH terminal, like I was doing.

My large screen mac is my main computer, so I was copy/pasting stuff from the instructions into a terminal on the mac connected to the linux machine via SSH. That, I thought, would eliminate errors.

Right before the line I outlined in red, it should probably say "The last line (make xconfig) will open a graphical configuration interface."

Then idiots like me will know not to run it from a remote terminal.

If you are compiling and changing kernel configs and stuff, it is kind of a giving that make xconfig would bring up a configuration window.
With that being said, you can certainly forward X11 window over ssh with some configuration required. So if you are connecting to the Linux box from the MAC via ssh, running make xconfig would bring up a graphical configuration window on your MAC.

More
04 Oct 2019 08:46 #147102 by pmconsulting
All I needed to do it the -X in the ssh from the mac as OpenSSH already has X11 forwarding enabled. I think there's a way to configure it to be the default.

More
04 Oct 2019 09:04 #147103 by bevins

All I needed to do it the -X in the ssh from the mac as OpenSSH already has X11 forwarding enabled. I think there's a way to configure it to be the default.

X11 needs to be set to forward on the client side and the server side. Plus the server needs to be able to setup X11 authentication.

More
04 Oct 2019 17:16 #147123 by andypugh
I do exaclty what you describe very often. I find that ssh -Y works best with my Mac.

make menuconfig works with ssh without X-forwarding.

More
04 Oct 2019 18:55 #147132 by pmconsulting
That's great! Unix certainly is a massive learning curve. It seems you just have to keep plowing away & asking questions. I'll certainly give make menuconfig a try, along with the -Y switch. Once you've connected that way, is it possible to bring up a desktop?

The next big hurdle is to try to make a dual boot dual drive system with windows 10. Are there any good guides for doing that properly that will work with Mint 19.2?

More
05 Oct 2019 04:33 #147154 by bevins

That's great! Unix certainly is a massive learning curve. It seems you just have to keep plowing away & asking questions. I'll certainly give make menuconfig a try, along with the -Y switch. Once you've connected that way, is it possible to bring up a desktop?

The next big hurdle is to try to make a dual boot dual drive system with windows 10. Are there any good guides for doing that properly that will work with Mint 19.2?

I allways install windows first and let linux and grub deal with it. I tried it the other way around first and it hosed my linux install.But that was windows 7. Sionce then I installed windows first and never had a problem.

More
05 Oct 2019 16:25 #147207 by pmconsulting
Thanks, bevins. I certainly appreciate the amount of time this will save me!

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds