Linuxcnc3 (Ubuntu 10.04) fresh install can't get SAMBA to install

More
13 Feb 2020 01:51 #157245 by Johnsinski
Title says it all.

Details:

Been running Linuxcnc3 (emc3) successfully for many years.

Then my video card when out (old AMD). I replaced it with an old Nvidia card laying around.

While I was at it I'd thought I'd just do a fresh install of Linuxcnc3 because it seemed like it had been acting a little weird, occasional lock ups. And of course I'd always get the "this version of ubuntu is out of date, no updates, blah blah blah" message, which, by the way could never be closed without doing a force close.

Anyway, while doing the fresh install (with and without an internet connection) I can't get SAMBA to install. My knowledge of linux is basically zero. I need SAMBA to transfer G-code from my Windows7 laptop to the CNC computer, or maybe I don't?

There seems to be a problem (or errors) with repositories, I'm guessing, and I'm guessing that the 10.04 is so old that the repositories are not there anymore, or something like that. Again I know very little about Linux.

I've been trying all sorts of trouble shooting ideas from the interwebs, that usually require lots of typing gibberish into an old DOS window. Sorry linux rant off. But I usually get to a point following the instructions of entering command into a terminal where errors come up. But the instruction have no explanation of what do to if there are errors that pop up. They just assume that last command worked and tell you to do the next command.

Is there a simple, solid, 100% way to install SAMBA, where errors are not going to pop up that I don't understand? Which is pretty much any error.

I have tried newer versions of linuxcnc, but have not found a way to fix the latency issues. (I get the giant spike every 32 seconds) I have an IBM core 2, and with 10.04 I know how to go in and fix the SMI issues very simply as the "fixing SMI issues" shows. But it doesn't seem to work on newer version of ubuntu.

So I'm stuck between either having a system that has the SMI latency issue or can't install SAMBA.

Warning if your response is "please post a big long pile of text from some terminal window" that's probably not going to help me, mostly because I don't know how to do that. If you NEED me to do that, please explain, in detail how to do it. Thanks.

My best guess is that I need to change where it looks to install SAMBA from, if that's even possible with the old 10.04.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2020 01:56 #157246 by rodw
I gave up trying to get my LinuxCNC Box and Windows desktops to play together so I use Google Drive to transfer files.
Its fine at home becasue I have a Synology NAS that looks after all the file sharing stuff.

WINodws uses some obscure security features that get in the road.

More
13 Feb 2020 02:33 #157249 by BeagleBrainz
Ok there is a howto here on how to do it.

www.stephenrlang.com/2017/03/setting-up-...ses-repo-for-ubuntu/

You will need to learn how to use sudo.

If you are willing to do that or know how I will help. First you will need to read the article, write down any queries you have and I will do my best to answer them.

Be aware that the version of samba that 10.04 has may not work with windows 7.

Another option maybe to set up an ftp server on windows 7 and transfer files via ftp.

This maybe an option for ftp
filezilla-project.org/

More
13 Feb 2020 02:41 #157250 by Johnsinski
OK, I'll look through those. I do sort of know how to type stuff in in a terminal, I just don't know what half of what I type means, or how to interpret the resulting errors.

I was going to post a bunch of the terminal info, but the forum says "too many links in the post" or something like that. But this is the jist of it.

"Err us.archive.ubuntu.com lucid/main Packages
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.23 80]"

and about 20 more of those, then

"W: Failed to fetch us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/lucid...ary-i386/Packages.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.23 80]"

and a bunch more of those, and some of these

"Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
Err security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security/main samba 2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3.8
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.162 80]"

More
13 Feb 2020 02:48 #157251 by rodw

Ok there is a howto here on how to do it.
Be aware that the version of samba that 10.04 has may not work with windows 7.
/

So if it does not work with Win7 then that will most likely rule out Win 8 and Win10.

So what version of Windows are you using? What you want to do may not be possible.

More
13 Feb 2020 02:56 #157252 by JohnnyCNC
I use WinSCP. It is a graphical app that has a window with two panes that let you navigate like Windows explorer. You navigate the left pane to where your files are on the Windows PC and the right pane to where you want to put the files on the Linux machine. Then just drag the files from the left pane to the right one. The time you use the program t will open up right where you left it the last time. I have mine setup with a ssh key so it automatically logs me in. One double click and I can start dragging.

More
13 Feb 2020 03:12 - 13 Feb 2020 03:14 #157253 by Johnsinski
Last edit: 13 Feb 2020 03:14 by Johnsinski.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

More
13 Feb 2020 03:14 #157254 by Johnsinski
Well I should of asked on here 3 days ago. I can't thank you enough Beagle.

The instructions on the stephenrlang link got samba working for me.

My CAM computer is Win7. Like I said it had been working for many many years and when I did a clean reinstall it wouldn't/couldn't install samba.

Oh man, that's a load off, been struggling with this for days.

My Win7 laptop can see the Linux share again, woohoo! And great latency numbers.

Thank you, thank you!

More
13 Feb 2020 03:20 #157257 by Johnsinski
Also, FYI, on my Win7 box I have a shortcut that directly goes to the IP and shared directory on the cnc box. I don't think I ever got Win7 to find the linuxcnc box through it's network browsing.

More
13 Feb 2020 03:52 #157260 by BeagleBrainz

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds