instal EMC on Debian ?

More
06 Jun 2009 16:58 #386 by fr4nk
instal EMC on Debian ? was created by fr4nk
Can someone write instructions to instal EMC on Debian ?
:(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2009 17:19 #387 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:instal EMC on Debian ?
I don't understand your question.

Are you looking to do something other than install the LiveCD?

John

More
06 Jun 2009 17:28 #388 by fr4nk
Replied by fr4nk on topic Re:instal EMC on Debian ?
Hi BigJohnt how are u ?

More
06 Jun 2009 17:30 #389 by fr4nk
I have Debian installed ? Without EMC2. How can I instal it ? I don't know how creat a Live CD.

More
06 Jun 2009 19:05 #390 by alex_joni
Replied by alex_joni on topic Re:instal EMC on Debian ?
fr4nk wrote:

I have Debian installed ? Without EMC2. How can I instal it ? I don't know how creat a Live CD.

It will be probably pretty hard to do, but here are some instructions:

You need to build a RTAI patched kernel:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Debian_Lenny_Compile_RTAI

Only after that works, you can attempt to compile emc2 as described here:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Debian_Lenny_Compile_EMC2

Regards,
Alex

PS: I don't think you can expect to find some support for this though.

More
06 Jun 2009 19:20 #391 by fr4nk
All right, thank you !

More
07 Jun 2009 17:45 - 07 Jun 2009 17:50 #393 by ldmarsaglia
Hello everybody, i've tried to install rtai and emc on debian too (lenny version), but i have problems after i install the rtai patch, when i restart and choose the rtai kernel i can't start the x-server, and if choose the old kernel the x-server works perfectly... so i was wondering if anyone has installed it on debian succesfully because i don't know why the new kernel has that error.
Thanks in advance for your help :)

Leonardo Marsaglia.
Last edit: 07 Jun 2009 17:50 by ldmarsaglia.

More
08 Jun 2009 11:25 #394 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:instal EMC on Debian ?
It is much simpler to install EMC using the LiveCD. You can also try EMC without installing it from the LiveCD.
The instructions are here:
www.linuxcnc.org/content/view/21/4/lang,en/
and here:
www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html//common_Getting_EMC.html

John

More
09 Jun 2009 23:04 - 09 Jun 2009 23:05 #413 by ldmarsaglia
Thanks for your answer John, but i've already tried with the ubuntu live cds, the matter is that i have two little problems with ubuntu, the first one is that when i boot with the hardy live cd without installing the system i can create shortcuts in desktop for my machine configuration, but when i install it on the hard drive i can not make shortcuts anymore, i didn't want to ask about this because it wasn't a relevant problem, but that's one reason of why i'm trying to use another distribution of linux, and the other problem with ubuntu is that when i use ubuntu hardy with the rtai kernel, i can only shutdown the system when i press the button on my pc, otherwise the computer never shutdown, this only happens when i use a rtai patched kernel.
That's why i was trying to install emc on other distributions, but the problem with debian was.. that when i installed the rtai patch i couldn't start the x server, but if a reboot and i choose the normal kernel the x server works perfect.
Anyway thanks for your concern, everybody in the emc team is always helping me and the other people, so i'm very thanked with you.
I hope to solve the problem, but in the meantime, i will use emc with ubuntu, since the problems don't affect the performance of the emc.

Thanks again for your help.

Leonardo.
Last edit: 09 Jun 2009 23:05 by ldmarsaglia.

More
10 Jun 2009 19:33 #415 by alex_joni
Replied by alex_joni on topic Re:instal EMC on Debian ?
leito1489 wrote:

the other problem with ubuntu is that when i use ubuntu hardy with the rtai kernel, i can only shutdown the system when i press the button on my pc, otherwise the computer never shutdown, this only happens when i use a rtai patched kernel.

That is partly intentional. To provide the best RT performance our (and probably all RTAI-patched kernels) kernel has ACPI disabled. ACPI has a lot of different functions, most of which interfere with RT performance (for example: power management, CPU power down, CPU frequency scaling, etc).
ACPI also takes care of powering down the system after a shutdown has been started, and that's why you need to push the power button to completely turn it off.
That will probably be true on any platform/kernel patched with RTAI.
Of course you can build a kernel which doesn't have ACPI switched off, but then you're on your own if it works or not (talking about RT performance).

Regards,
Alex

Time to create page: 0.326 seconds