[SOLVED]3 linxcnc-dev folder and installation

More
22 Mar 2020 14:07 #161107 by bkt
I feel a little stupid, but the last time I did it was with JA13 .... I find myself having 3 installations of Lcnc run in place on the same PC ... if I cancel 2 everything works great, but if I leave the old ones it gives me error as if it could not find Linuxcnc ... I guess it's because only one of the 3 installations is complete with linuxcnc the others have something overwritten, or I have to give a command to go from one folder to another, only that I don't know or remember.

can anyone suggest me the way?

regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2020 13:05 #161206 by bkt
Finally I've find what I need. I use clonezilla for reply my cnc disk. In the second disk I install a new version of Lcnc. So when attach old dick I can use old version, and when new disk new version. Yes I've 3 disk, one for version.

After a while I remembered having done so in the past. Strange seemed to be able to switch between versions with a command ... but thinking that there can only be one instance of Lcnc per pc ... I think there is no other way.

regards

More
23 Mar 2020 13:23 #161210 by tommylight
I think you can have 2 versions on the same disk/installation, one from buildbot and one as "run in place".
The following user(s) said Thank You: bkt

More
23 Mar 2020 13:28 - 23 Mar 2020 13:29 #161212 by bkt
These is very stranges .... I've install disk2 (cloned one) and istall a new version in the folder linuxcnc-dev2 ... now I can work with old version (2.8) and new one (2.9). Obviusly not at same moment .... but in the original disk these is impossible .... At this point I think that something has been installed incorrectly on the old disk ... uff .... I'm getting old, it's true ... but it offends me to be able to prove that memory does not abandon me. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Last edit: 23 Mar 2020 13:29 by bkt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
23 Mar 2020 15:26 #161224 by tommylight

I'm getting old, it's true ... but it offends me to be able to prove that memory does not abandon me. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And being isolated is not helping at all ! :)

More
23 Mar 2020 19:47 #161260 by rodw
You can have many run in place installations and simply choose between them by running the rip-environment script in the
~/linuxcnc-devnn/scripts folder for the version you want to run.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
23 Mar 2020 21:41 - 23 Mar 2020 21:42 #161284 by BeagleBrainz
Or to keep configs separate create a user for each version you have.....
eg user-27, user-28, user29 and log in as each user and build a run in place version.

No need for rebooting, no messing with configs between each version.Just need to stop the current running linuxcnc version and log out then log back in.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2020 21:42 by BeagleBrainz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bkt

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds