Tip Reset forgotten password

More
08 Apr 2020 17:46 #163220 by Mike_Eitel
I came across this article.
I did not test it but seems to be a guy with more skills in linux than me (that is easy)

www.tecmint.com/reset-forgotten-root-password-in-debian/
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2020 20:39 #163233 by BeagleBrainz
You can also boot with a live CD and mount the root partition and modify the passwd and shadow files, to remove the passwords for all users including the root user.

More
09 Apr 2020 00:58 #163265 by tommylight
That is not good information to share, might be used to gain access to computers not belonging to them.

More
09 Apr 2020 03:20 #163293 by BeagleBrainz
When I was doing a NetWare course first rule drummed into our heads was physical security ie: Stop people walking away with the machine and stop people from gaining physical access. Next is securing the BIOS, who has password protected their BIOS ? Get access to that and you can change the boot device, by then it's bye bye.

A live CD\DVD\USB is a pretty good way to get access to a whole machine. You don't even have to mount any file systems to do evil.

Unless grub has a password the machine is insecure. Once someone has access to the grub command line anything is possible. And anyone wanting unauthorised access, with a reason will know these things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
09 Apr 2020 12:27 #163326 by Mike_Eitel
One the first thought I would agree with you Tom. But:
1. Here we talk of mostly self possesed machines, or small shop ones.
2. As soon as somebody can touch, it's very difficult to protect against fraud.
3. Don't believe that you can completely harden a system against a knowledged person.

Instead:
Concentrate against user errors and "playing a little bit on the buttons" freaks.
Most important. Have resiliency in focus, in lcnc this means have fast a complete copy at hand. Fx. Have a 1 to 1 copied harddisk in a safe plase. That is real cheapo these days and very effective.
Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, BeagleBrainz

More
09 Apr 2020 12:45 #163330 by phillc54

When I was doing a NetWare course

CNE?

More
09 Apr 2020 13:01 #163331 by BeagleBrainz
Nah just a course at TAFE, felt a bit ripped off as it was touted as a networking course, no mention of it being just focusing on NetWare.

More
09 Apr 2020 13:04 #163332 by phillc54
I did the CNE and the only thing I can remember now is the crap sandwiches.

More
09 Apr 2020 13:13 #163337 by BeagleBrainz
I was working as a Frame & Truss Detailer\Estimator at the time. Wanted to up skill.
Anyways left that job, got a job as a labourer to a Playground installer. Ended up as trainee electronics tech with Ingenico, EFTPOS terminals and stuff like that.....Had some personal issues and ended up doing Playground repairs for a while.....boss was ripping me off, super paid for quite a few years, so jumped to doing civvy labouring, screwed my back, started traffic control.
Anyways can't work there now as the shattered femur I had at 20 is now causing arthritis and can't drive for over an hour in Sydney traffic.

More
09 Apr 2020 13:24 #163340 by phillc54
We stayed with computers and such until the Chinese invaded town and were selling for less than we could buy stuff for plus I don't think they believed in GST. Around 2002 we went into boom gates, bollards and other car parking equipment and that kept me going until retirement.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds