Can I install version 2.8 and 2.9 on the same computer?

More
24 May 2020 21:41 #168830 by Catch22
I would like to install version 2.8 and 2.9 on the same computer. Or is there anyway to upgrade 2.8 to 2.9 using Linux Mint 19.3 or do I have to install Debian for 2.9 .
Thanks Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2020 22:33 - 24 May 2020 22:36 #168832 by tommylight
Mike,
For Buildbot versions you can upgrade at any point in time, just edit the software sources list to point to the version you need, update and upgrade.
You can also have two versions on the same computer, but one has to be from buildbot and the other has to be compiled and installed as "run in place"
You can even go back from 2.9 to 2.8, and in most cases everything will work properly, granted the config does not use any bleeding edge features in the hal and ini files or comps.
buildbot
has the info on adding the repos.
Last edit: 24 May 2020 22:36 by tommylight. Reason: typo

More
24 May 2020 22:54 #168835 by Catch22

Mike,
For Buildbot versions you can upgrade at any point in time, just edit the software sources list to point to the version you need, update and upgrade.
You can also have two versions on the same computer, but one has to be from buildbot and the other has to be compiled and installed as "run in place"
You can even go back from 2.9 to 2.8, and in most cases everything will work properly, granted the config does not use any bleeding edge features in the hal and ini files or comps.
buildbot

Sweet, thanks for your help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
25 May 2020 10:08 #168856 by rodw
Or you can compile V2.9 from source and use run in place to run it from a command prompt after running
. ~/linuxcnc-dev/scripts/rip-environment

and leave the buildbot at 2.9

or you can checkout 2.8 and recompile...

More
26 May 2020 21:18 - 26 May 2020 23:51 #169008 by Catch22

Mike,
buildbot

Ok so on my milling machine I have Debian Wheezy with version 2.7 on it, and it works fine. But I just got the xhc WHB04B-4 pendant and it won't work with 2.7 from what I have read.
On another computer I have version 2.8 and going to put 2.9 on it to see what I like best before I attempt to put it on my machine computer. Can I go straight from Debian Wheezy 2.7 to 2.9 on Debian Wheezy?
Last edit: 26 May 2020 23:51 by Catch22.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds