hostmot2 firmware on Archlinux

More
24 Jul 2020 10:35 #175616 by pmchetan
As on 24th july 2020, the updated AUR PKGBUILD builds and I am able to run linuxcnc on Arch but I am unable to build hostmot2 firmware. Has anyone built it on non-debian linux box?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2020 13:34 #176509 by andypugh
You shouldn't need to build it, you can download it all precompiled from Mesa.

The LinuxCNC/Hostmot2 code is rather out of date, and only builds for old Spartans using the older Xylinx dev kit.

More
31 Jul 2020 10:26 #176636 by pmchetan
I had downloaded support softwares from mesanet.com for my card. It contained the .bit files and .pin files for different combination of anything IO and daughter cards. I didn't understand what locations they need to be installed at nor was I able to get the locations from makefile in Linuxcnc repository: github.com/LinuxCNC/hostmot2-firmware
So I was hoping to find if someone knows if they built it and if so what location to copy the files to. Also I assumed precompiled firmwares will have .bin or executables rather than .bit files.

More
31 Jul 2020 10:37 #176638 by tommylight
What card?
Most Mesa cards have their own flash memory, so do not require loading firmware.
That means that there is no need for it, except if you need to flash some other firmware to them.

More
31 Jul 2020 12:38 #176656 by pmchetan
6i25-7i76. I have a working linuxcnc installation. There I flashed to card with proper firmwares. The controller works well on wheezy-linuxcnc build. But on Arch-linux, it said firmware missing during pcnconf. So I thought I it needs some binaries on the OS side also. I am starting to think I was wrong and if the cards have the firmware and fallback firmware properly installed, it needs nothing specific to mesa cards on the OS side.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
31 Jul 2020 12:48 #176657 by tommylight
You can ignore that and continue making the config, it will work for sure.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds