Loss of wifi connection

More
29 Jul 2020 01:05 #176322 by MaHa
Loss of wifi connection was created by MaHa
My setup, testing-stretch-rtpreempt, linuxcnc 2.7.15 and Mesa 7i76E.
About 2 weeks ago, after sudo apt-get update / sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, the usb wlan didn't respond anymore. lsusb showed the device, and that was it. I have one spare, and same problem. Another linuxcompatible small dongle, i was able to setup wifi, but it was impossible to access network, internet, and it didn't show up in the log of the AP.
Leaving me at a loss, making a mess by trying get it run again without any chance. Lan is configured in interfaces.d, wlan by networkmanager.
Then i came across this nice little router box on sale together with a usb lan adapter. Did the box setup as client, only had to make the entry in networkmanager, it restored network access. I should have done this from the initial setup.

The retired USB adapter with antenna had a good signal strength and working for 6 Years, and the new Nano Router
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2020 11:55 #176365 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Loss of wifi connection
Or you could use Mint as it has no such issues ever, i have both of the TP-Link ones, both work on any PC with Mint.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
29 Jul 2020 12:05 #176370 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Loss of wifi connection

Or you could use Mint as it has no such issues ever, i have both of the TP-Link ones, both work on any PC with Mint.

x 2. Mints built in driver support is just outstanding! I use an Asus Nano wifi dongle. It required compiling the driver on Wheezy, problematic on Precise (Stretch was not around) and just worked on Mint.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
29 Jul 2020 12:26 - 30 Jul 2020 15:11 #176375 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Loss of wifi connection
Mint has surpassed the level of stability and functionality of Ubuntu 10.4, by far.
Had so much cr@p installed on 18.1 on one of my big PC's that the menus would go on forever, yet no slowdowns, no issues, it just worked.
Now to slowly shift to 20 as it seems a bit faster than 19.3. on over 10 PC's and laptops ! :)
Last edit: 30 Jul 2020 15:11 by tommylight. Reason: typo

More
30 Jul 2020 13:42 #176514 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Loss of wifi connection
You have to be a bit careful with the WN722N. Apparently they changed the chipset but not the model code and only the old ones work with Linux.
DAMHIK.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds