LinuxCNC with Probe Basic

More
22 Aug 2020 18:50 #179023 by CNCer
I used to program CNC G&M codes back in the late 1980s in printed circuit board manufacturing - large scale. Seems like soooo long ago. Anyway, I'm just beginning to dabble in machining metal and am researching my first manual mill purchase. Having said that, at some point I would like to turn this manual mill into a CNC mill. Luckily I happened across this forum.

I've been a Linux user for years with my favorite distro being Debian Cinnamon edition. I'm currently running Debian 10 Buster. I would like to install LinuxCNC with Probe Basic to play with while saving for my mill. I've read a few posts but not sure where to start. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2020 20:09 #179025 by anfänger
Replied by anfänger on topic LinuxCNC with Probe Basic
Hi,

Actually this is not that difficult

kcjengr.github.io/probe_basic/dev_install.html

Is used this twice to install probe basic.

Some packages are missing when compiling, but if you know your way around Linux it’s easy to load them and recompile

Have fun with it

Patrick

More
22 Aug 2020 20:44 - 22 Aug 2020 20:46 #179031 by chris@cnc
Replied by chris@cnc on topic LinuxCNC with Probe Basic
Hi,
it is very good to know what the end is. I can't give you a manual, but I can give you an example of how I started. I no longer wanted to push my router bits over the wood by hand. I still have Debian 9 and my sources.list
echo deb buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ stretch 2.8-rtpreempt >>/etc/apt/sources.list added and read the installation instructions here.
Debian 10 is written here.
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...ick-and-easy-install

I didn't want a simulator and ordered the 7i76E + 1 servo and started turning it with an NC program. When it worked, the joy was great and I would like to thank everyone who helped me on this path and the Linuxcnc developers who made this possible.
When the first motor turns, the rest comes by itself. Just do it. It is not easy until then, but the costs are manageable and then you will see what is possible and what it will cost. Last advice good electrics reduce many problems and use a large control cabinet. So things can still added. The ideas come from making.
The manuals are here linuxcnc.org/documents/
Last edit: 22 Aug 2020 20:46 by chris@cnc.

More
22 Aug 2020 20:44 #179032 by tommylight

I'm currently running Debian 10 Buster. I would like to install LinuxCNC with Probe Basic to play with while saving for my mill.

If you need to install LinuxCNC, have a look here:
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...ick-and-easy-install

More
22 Aug 2020 22:41 - 22 Aug 2020 22:50 #179042 by CNCer
Replied by CNCer on topic LinuxCNC with Probe Basic
tommylight...I was using your Method 2 and received the following:

gpg: keyserver receive failed: Connection timed out

***NOTE*** My firewall was blocking so I used port 80 and it worked fine:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keys.gnupg.net:80 --recv-key EF1B07FEE0EE663E
Last edit: 22 Aug 2020 22:50 by CNCer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
23 Aug 2020 06:08 #179064 by tommylight
Fixed that on the original topic, thank you.

More
23 Aug 2020 16:26 #179114 by CNCer
tommylight...So I've backtracked and installed Debian 9 Stretch. Are there any install instructions such as your method #2 for Debian 10? I've been poking around and can't seem to find a straight forward method of installing from the terminal like you listed for Debian 10. Any ideas? Thank you.

More
23 Aug 2020 17:54 #179125 by tommylight
??????????????
Do you mean QtPyVCP?

More
23 Aug 2020 18:32 - 23 Aug 2020 18:33 #179129 by chris@cnc
Replied by chris@cnc on topic LinuxCNC with Probe Basic
sudo apt-add-repository 'http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ stretch 2.8-rtpreempt'
-
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y install linuxcnc-uspace
that's all
Last edit: 23 Aug 2020 18:33 by chris@cnc.

More
23 Aug 2020 19:20 - 23 Aug 2020 19:42 #179132 by CNCer
tommylight...I apologize. I meant I have a clean install of Debian 9 Stretch on my computer. I wanted to do a fresh install of LinuxCNC by the terminal such as what you showed in your Debian 10, Method 2 install.

chris@cnc...Is this a clean install of LinuxCNC by chance? Is that all I have to copy and paste into my terminal? It seems there should be more. I thought there might be something to do with using a particular kernel. I'm not sure though.

I noticed when I installed Probe Basic, the instructions (kcjengr.github.io/probe_basic/quick_start.html) state in step 4, "After installation probe basic should show up in the linuxcnc launch screen and you can select to create a desktop icon for it by selecting the check box to do so at the bottom of the page." I didn't see Probe Basic in the LinuxCNC launch screen. Any ideas why?
Last edit: 23 Aug 2020 19:42 by CNCer.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds