other Approachs to install Linuxcnc

More
01 Sep 2020 07:40 #180270 by Onkelmat
I´ve got an old Mainboard 32bit installed in my Maho Mh600. The board does not support booting from USB stick. I don´t have a spare CD Rom drive and all other computers I own are 64bit.

I needed to install Linuxcnc on an SSD drive for that Maho PC. I´ve tried like 100 times to do so. I´ve got an SATA to USB adapter that shows the ssd as usb drive. There is no option to install Linux cnc on that SSD drive, only option is to make it an bootable usb drive but it won´t be able to install itselfe on itself when put back into the machine.

In the end i took a scrap mainboard from the yard, installed Linuxcnc with the usb thumbb drive on the ssd drive. But why can´t you just install Linuxcnc on any kind of storage in it´s full version ? not live ? so that you can use it plug and play

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2020 08:45 #180278 by rodw
Apparently you can install Linux (and LInuxcnc) on any computer and just swap the drive. I have done this but on very similar machines...

More
01 Sep 2020 10:02 #180289 by tommylight

Apparently you can install Linux (and LInuxcnc) on any computer and just swap the drive. I have done this but on very similar machines...

That will work with Linux on pretty much any damn thing, laptop, PC, dishwasher .... :)
I do that a lot. Linux Mint does that , Debian might be more picky.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
01 Sep 2020 11:04 - 01 Sep 2020 11:12 #180308 by Himarc3D
But this work too even if the system he will install is 64bit to after put the HD into 32 bit machine?
Maybe need install 32bit into 64 bit machine, its possible right?the opposite isnt true 64bit OS into 32bit processor.
And install over ethernet isnt possible?
i saw at customer site the IT guys staff doing it using windows, install over ethernet for many computers.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2020 11:12 by Himarc3D.

More
01 Sep 2020 11:08 #180310 by tommylight

Maybe need install 32bit into 64 bit machine, its possible right?the opposite isnt true 64bit OS into 32bit processor.

Yes and yes.

And install over ethernet isnt possible?

Yes, but it still needs to boot from a USB or CD from a very small image, then install.

i saw at customer site the IT guys staff doing it using windows, install over internet for many computers.

Over Local Network, not over internet, and this needs a server setup just for that, so the windows image has to be on that server, and again it needs to boot form a USB or CD.

More
01 Sep 2020 11:19 #180312 by Himarc3D
right, ethernet. i correct.
I checked and dont look hard, maybe even over virtualbox is possible.
wiki.debian.org/PXEBootInstall
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
01 Sep 2020 13:50 - 01 Sep 2020 13:53 #180330 by Himarc3D
I checked more and looks like ipxe can install using https, more simple than PXE.

ipxe.org/crypto
Or how to with script using PXE
blog.raymond.burkholder.net/index.php?/a...uto-Build-Hosts.html
Last edit: 01 Sep 2020 13:53 by Himarc3D.

More
01 Sep 2020 16:24 #180340 by BeagleBrainz
I’ve installed via pxe, not something I would do for a single install, a bit of setup required. Where it comes into it’s own is for multiple installs.
Without Having the option to boot from USB or CD-ROM/DVD the only other option is to install on a second machine and transfer the hdd over.
Unfortunately the OP’s case in this day and age is a pretty rare case. Such is the march of technology.

More
02 Sep 2020 09:10 #180406 by Onkelmat
Is it possible to extract Linuximage to some sort of strage and copy paste it onto the hdd it will be used on ?

More
02 Sep 2020 11:13 #180413 by BeagleBrainz
Nope.
Debian installs package by package as far as I can tell.
Copy & paste would still leave you without a boot loader being installed. Sure all the files would be on the disc but it wouldn't be bootable.
So unless you can boot via USB\CD\DVD\Network the only other option is to install to a hdd on a second system, preferably contacted to a IDE or SATA port (using a usb to sata or IDE will give you a headache) depending on the target M\B then installing the HDD into the target system.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds