other Approachs to install Linuxcnc

More
02 Sep 2020 11:14 - 02 Sep 2020 11:19 #180414 by anfänger
Yes this is also possible (dd is your friend)
You can also put the boot image on a hard drive. I did that a long time ago it’s the same process for a usb disc and a hard drive when using a Linux machine. Even with Mac it should be the same.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2020 11:19 by anfänger.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2020 11:39 #180418 by tommylight

Yes this is also possible (dd is your friend)

Yes it is possible but will last much longer than doing a fresh install, much much longer as DD copies everything, even the empty space on the drives.

More
02 Sep 2020 12:12 #180421 by BeagleBrainz
Clonezilla is an option, but an initial install is still required & if you can't boot the target system via cd\dvd\usb you still need to do everything on a 2nd machine. And for a one it's a lot of work, far more than doing an install and transferring the drive from one machine to another.

More
02 Sep 2020 12:13 #180422 by anfänger
I know I just wanted to say it is possible.
If I can’t boot from USB but have access to the hard drive I would install it on another computer and move the HD or make a 2nd hard drive with the install media.

But If I have another machine already running Linuxcnc and want to clone everything I would give DD a chance ;-)
Cause remembering alle packages I need to install later and compiling come other stuff, failing installing other packages trying again, also takes time ;-)

More
02 Sep 2020 12:23 #180424 by BeagleBrainz
Clonezilla is a hell of a lot quicker than using dd.

You can do a disc to disc clone. Doing it this way doesn't give you a image you can backup.
A disc to image then to disc clone. This way does give you an image you can use multiple times.

More
02 Sep 2020 12:34 - 02 Sep 2020 12:35 #180426 by anfänger
Maybe I am to old scool here. I was a regular Linux user 15 years ago the I switched to mac and stopped playing around with computers (had something to do with getting a job).
It was when I started using LinuxCNC four years ago i used Linux again. But only for my CNC. I am happy many of the old stuff still works.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2020 12:35 by anfänger.

More
02 Sep 2020 13:29 #180431 by tommylight
Clonezilla uses DD to do it's thing, but id does skip the empty sectors, so it is much faster.

More
03 Sep 2020 04:50 #180492 by Mike_Eitel
Why not use balena etcher, that is cross platform.
I do lots of different iso to sd/ssd. Never had a non booting that way.
m5c.
Mike

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds