Buster ISO flash drive and DVD not recognised

More
19 Sep 2020 15:50 - 19 Sep 2020 15:50 #182753 by BigDee
Hi,

i flashed the Buster ISO to a USB flash drive on my Mac using Etcher. This always worked flawlessly for Raspi Buster images. But whenever i tried it with the LinuxCNC ISO i get the error message after finishing that the disk is not readable. I also tried to prepare the flash drive on my LinuxCNC Wheezy computer (instructions from the documentation) the result is the same. I tried to boot the flash drive from my iMac, the LinuxCNC computer in my workshop and from a quite new Win 10 PC. All with the same result, stating that the flash drive is not readable.

Any ideas what could be wrong here?

I later tried my old LinuxCNC Wheezy Live CD this one is booting as expected.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Dieter

Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Sep 2020 15:50 by BigDee.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2020 20:21 #182780 by BeagleBrainz
First of all not being able to read the USB stick after flashing is not unusual due to the image being a hybrid ISO.
Not being able to boot is not good. First thing I would check is that the download is good by checking the md5sum, google is a good resource to find out how to do that for your particular platform. If that fails the only recourse is to redownload the image and try again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigDee

More
19 Sep 2020 20:32 #182783 by rodw
I would point the finger at etcher. The most reliable tool for creating boot images is win32diskimager on windows.
You really need to use a different burning program to eliminate it as being the problem.

More
20 Sep 2020 01:57 #182801 by phillc54
I have never had an issue with etcher on a Mac.

More
20 Sep 2020 08:02 #182833 by tommylight
As a general advice, use USB 2 ports on the PC or laptop to write inages/ISO, some USB flash drive controllers fail miserably on USB 3 when writing to them.

More
20 Sep 2020 12:41 #182893 by BigDee
Thanks for the input.

- just checked: checksum is okay, download should than be okay as well.
- don't want to be agnostic on this, but: Etcher always worked for me with many Raspi images. But i'll give the Win32diskimager a try
- can somebody please confirm that his download of the ISO worked without problems?
- Downloaded the ISO on MacOS and Linux and flashed it on different USB flash drives - both are showing the same problem.

Regards,
Dieter

More
20 Sep 2020 13:09 #182895 by BeagleBrainz
Like I said previously after writing the imge to a USB stick it wont be recognised by the OS, this is not an issue.
With all things being well it will boot.
If there is an issue it wont boot.

More
20 Sep 2020 13:25 #182898 by BigDee
Success!

Don't know if it really is an issue with Etcher (which i personally don't believe) but using Win32Diskimager on a different machine did the trick at the first try.

Buster Live is running right now in my workshop.

This being said i can proof by myself that the ISO is working properly.

Thank you all for your help.

Regards,
Dieter

More
20 Sep 2020 14:03 #182906 by BeagleBrainz
The thing is win32diskimager is simple and doesn't try to be smart. You give it a input file and an output device and it will write to input file to the output device byte by byte.

Just out of interest were you trying to write the image to the raw device or a partition on the device.
In Linux that would be (raw device):
/dev/sdg

Instead of (a partition on the deivce):
/dev/sdg1

There's no point in trying to partition a flash drive your going to write an image to as everything, even the partition table is overwritten.
I've seen one utility that will mount the image file and partition the drive you want to boot from and copy the files over. This is not want you want. I know it sound a little confusing but that's just the way it is.

More
06 Oct 2020 20:10 #185133 by BigDee
I'm not 100% sure, but if i remember correctly i tried to write it to the partition and not the raw device.

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds