How to configure a Contour Shuttle Pro V2 onLinuxCNC

More
23 Sep 2020 11:57 #183456 by rogerfries
I'm am still at the start of my LinuxCNC journey. I have a PC built on Mint and a Mesa 7i76E and right now I'm just working a testbed with loose parts on my desk. I haven't tried to assimilate the functional Mach 3 Bridgeport mill yet. One of the things I would like to bring over is my trusty old Shuttle Pro V2, I see lots of posts on the Shuttle Xpress, but I have the pro. Is the Pro supported in Linux CNC? I do see some documentation indicating that it is, but I don't know how to utilize this linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/drivers/shuttle.html

I did just plug it in and try and it does zoom the preview and scroll the G-code so the device is recognized by Linux. How can I configure it to jog my machine?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2020 11:29 #184559 by andypugh
That documentation does seem a little sparse, it has to be admitted.

There is fractionally more here: linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/man/man1/shuttle.1.html

Which does at least indicate how to load it.

You can try it out from the command-line fairly easily. Assuming that LinuxCNC is already running:
halcmd -kf
loadusr shuttle
show pin *shuttle*
loadusr halmeter pin shuttlepro.0.counts
{etc}
[code]
to exit the interactive HAL session:
[code]exit

Whilst in the hal session you can try experimenting with making connections, for example
net coolant shuttlepro.0.button-00 iocontrol.0.coolant-flood

Most of the pins you might want to link the shuttle to are listed in these pages:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/man/man1/iocontrol.1.html
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/man/man1/halui.1.html
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/man/man9/motion.9.html

More
02 Oct 2020 14:38 #184579 by rogerfries
The Loadusr shuttle command results in a permission denied error.

I did add the file /etc/udev/rules.d/99-shuttle.rules per the link, but still no luck.

Nothing is easy in this system is it! It might not be a big issue as I ordered a new pendent that claims to support Linux. As long as I like it, I won't need the shuttle. It would still be nice to see how/if it works in Linux CNC.

More
02 Oct 2020 15:19 #184580 by andypugh
It might be worth checking if the Product and Vendor IDs match the udev rules entries.

I _think_ that lsusb will tell you that.

More
02 Oct 2020 15:42 #184581 by rogerfries
I ran lsudb

I tries changing the product id from 0020 to 0030 to match what lsusb reported. Rebooted and retried, same result.
Attachments:

More
03 Oct 2020 12:37 #184681 by BeagleBrainz
Just for info:

You should have a copy of /lib/udev/rules.d/99-shuttle.rules
I tend to think this should have been the file that was modified with your new USB id's.

Which if your are using the Mint ISO with Linuxcnc pre installed this is where the installer puts the file.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rogerfries

More
06 Oct 2020 14:48 #185082 by rogerfries
I did try changing that rules file and I did get farther in the process, but since my Vista CNC pendent is working well, I'm going to drop the shuttle at least for now. I think the Pendent is superior.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds