Advice on update please

More
30 Sep 2020 05:54 #184354 by PMCD
Advice on update please was created by PMCD
Hi All,

I'm still working on my Weeke BP80 retrofit. (and struggling/learning)

It will be a basic 3 axis machine and I would like to add a rotary axis later. All the drilling aggregate has been removed and I will only use one spindle which removes most of the I/O as well.

I have wired the 3 servos (indramat 3ph AC servos and Motors) to Mesa 5125/7177 that's plugged into HP8300 SFF and have started to play around with Pncconfig.

Several months ago I installed the LinuxCNC 2.7.14 Debian 7 Wheezy and after some research and before I get in to deep I am thinking that I should change or update to a different version.

I would appreciate if someone could educate me a little on what to do. Am I better of with the PREEMPT-RT patch?
I would also like/need a usb wifi connection and configuring the debian 7 distro looks like it is way over my head.

Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2020 18:19 #184403 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Advice on update please
You can try the latest Buster iso from the downloads page.

More
30 Sep 2020 22:21 #184428 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Advice on update please
If you are using a Mesa card then the preempt-rt kernel is likely to be entirely acceptable. Then you get a version of Linux that is still supported and a whole lot of significant LinuxCNC upgrades.

So, yes, install the latest ISO.

More
01 Oct 2020 01:43 #184442 by PMCD
Replied by PMCD on topic Advice on update please
Thanks Andy

Will a WIFI connection via a usb dongle be straight forward.

I looked into installing drivers for debian 7 and it looked well above my pay grade.

More
01 Oct 2020 03:15 #184447 by BeagleBrainz
This might be an easier option, Mint supports just about everything out of the box. What your final result will depend on is the wifi dongle you choose.

cnc.beaglebrainz.net/cdimage/cnc-19.3.0-...lus-uspace-64bit.iso

More
01 Oct 2020 09:10 #184467 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Advice on update please

Will a WIFI connection via a usb dongle be straight forward.

It should be _if_ you have the dongle fitted during the installation.

Trying to configure it after installation is somewhat harder as you need to work out for yourself what drivers are needed.

More
01 Oct 2020 09:11 #184468 by andypugh

More
01 Oct 2020 09:56 #184474 by BeagleBrainz
If you mean submenus not to begin with, but this is a quirk of the Whisker Menu plugin, if if a user right clicks on the Menu button and selects setting I think it is, there is a option you can choose to enable submenus, but the docs are under CNC. Pretty sure I've mentioned this to on the dev mailing list.
I guess if I look at what setting is changed, hopefully it's not in dconf, I could place that setting in /etc/skel/path to setting, so when the installer creates the user it's all good.

Time to create page: 0.364 seconds