New computer + upgrade to 2.8 at the same time.

More
20 Jan 2021 22:18 - 20 Jan 2021 22:19 #196031 by jroddds
Hopefully this is an easy one. 2.7.15 was a roadblock for me with only 55 tools.
I have a spare computer on which I installed LinuxCNC 2.8.0. it's up and running.
Now, I want to swap it out on my machine. But, I have a frankenstein of a HAL file and PYVCP because I wanted certain bells and whistles. I don't want to have to redo all that stuff.

Is swapping out the computer as easy as taking the LINUXCNC folder and copying it to the new computer. Or do I have to go through the pncconf wizard? and then piece bits of HAL/INI/PYVCP/etc into the new computer?
Last edit: 20 Jan 2021 22:19 by jroddds.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2021 00:18 #196041 by tommylight
2.8 has an included wizard that will change the required stuff to joint/axis config, although some editing might be needed.
Most probably you will have to edit also stuff related to spindle as the new spindle naming is changed to support up to 8 or 9 separate spindles.
Also if you are using any custom comp/component, make sure you also copy that so you can compile them again on the new machine.

More
22 Jan 2021 20:58 #196273 by andypugh

Is swapping out the computer as easy as taking the LINUXCNC folder and copying it to the new computer. Or do I have to go through the pncconf wizard? and then piece bits of HAL/INI/PYVCP/etc into the new computer?

It should be, and quite a lot of effort went in to attempting to make it so.

That isn't to say the we necessarily succeeded in all cases, but it should be very close (the updater script handles the new spindle names too)

Custom HAL components need to be copied across and recompiled, if you have any.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds