32bit v2.8 -> is there an (easy) way ?

More
12 Feb 2021 14:37 #198538 by izsurk
Hi,

I have LinuxCNC 2.7 running from precompiled Debian 7 Wheezy using multiple parallel port cards at the moment. Due to the EOL of Wheezy mainly git and future plans force me to update towards v2.8

Unfortunately I have a fairly old computer with 32bit CPU -> trying to install or start the "stock" v2.8 Debian 10 Buster ISO fails.

Can somebody give me advice which 32bit ISO to install (if available -- where to download)? If no image exists: Are there still 32bit packages built? Where can I find them? And how can I install them? And on which base-linux (ISO) are those applied? What about the realtime component? Sorry I am not very deep into linux ...

Thanks for helping me out,

Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2021 11:00 - 13 Feb 2021 11:01 #198666 by aleksamc
I think you need to install Debian 7 Wheezy that goes on x86 bit systems and update linuxcnc to version 2.8.1
Last edit: 13 Feb 2021 11:01 by aleksamc.

More
14 Feb 2021 22:18 #198866 by andypugh

I have LinuxCNC 2.7 running from precompiled Debian 7 Wheezy using multiple parallel port cards at the moment. Due to the EOL of Wheezy mainly git and future plans force me to update towards v2.8

You can upgrade the Debian 7 Wheezy install to 2.8. There is no need to change the OS to upgrade LinuxCNC.

Can somebody give me advice which 32bit ISO to install (if available -- where to download)? If no image exists: Are there still 32bit packages built? Where can I find them?

The list of precompiled versions is here:
buildbot.linuxcnc.org
If you want to go with RTAI and 32-bit (i386) then staying with Debian Wheezy is one option, or you can gamble on the nearly-as-old Ubuntu Precise.

You need more than just LinuxCNC, though. You need the matching Realtime kernel.

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/getting-start...nate_install_methods

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds