RT-Preempt on J1900 NUC?

More
28 Mar 2021 22:16 #203956 by dannym
Would really like to upgrade my machine from a older Dell to a fanless NUC. I have a NUC with a J1900 Quad-Core Intel Celeron processor. I did the LinuxCNC realtime on an RT-Preempt install on the Dell but it was a long time ago and I don't remember a lot. I don't know much about kernels either, to be honest. I'll keep the control box and Mesa 7i92 card.

Is there any reason this won't work?

I was looking up what I need to do, do I just need to go to linuxcnc.org/downloads/ and do the LinuxCNC 2.8.0 Debian 10 Buster PREEMPT-RT ISO?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2021 23:41 #203964 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic RT-Preempt on J1900 NUC?
Yes.

More
03 Apr 2021 19:28 - 03 Apr 2021 19:50 #204652 by dannym
Replied by dannym on topic RT-Preempt on J1900 NUC?
OK, I had the install screen with options "Live (amd64)", "Install", or "Graphical Install". So there was an amd-specific option, but nothing intel-specific.

I just used Install, removed the USB, and got it booting. I do see a message when booting about "Loading Linux (something something) rt-amd64". It goes by fast. This is an Intel, is there anything wrong here?

I can launch LinuxCNC, but there's no hardware on this machine yet, copying the config and setting up to work with the Mesa card may take some time so I don't know yet.

I can run Latency Test of course. I don't have anything installed to stress the machine though. I get Servo 1,030K jitter 30K, Base 59K jitter 34K. Is this ok? It's a stepper machine, no servo encoders or anything
Last edit: 03 Apr 2021 19:50 by dannym.

More
03 Apr 2021 21:00 #204670 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic RT-Preempt on J1900 NUC?

I do see a message when booting about "Loading Linux (something something) rt-amd64". It goes by fast. This is an Intel, is there anything wrong here?

Intel lost the 64bit game so now everything 64bit has AMD in its name to differentiate from x86.

More
03 Apr 2021 21:11 #204671 by dannym
Thanks, I had not heard this. I was worried about this being my only options and thought I had the wrong thing.

... but, sounds pretty dumb to explicitly specify "amd64" if you don't mean AMD. I do recall an era where AMD required a different install of stuff, or there would be an AMD-optimized option that worked better on AMD but would not run on Intel machines.

More
03 Apr 2021 21:58 - 03 Apr 2021 21:58 #204675 by pippin88
Replied by pippin88 on topic RT-Preempt on J1900 NUC?
AMD64 is a standardized CPU instruction set. Invented by AMD but used by Intel as well. Also known as x86-64 and other things.

Does not refer to AMD CPUs, just the instruction set.

Partly got named this because of competing 64 bit architectures at the time. AMDs won and became the standard.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2021 21:58 by pippin88.

More
03 Apr 2021 22:17 #204677 by dannym
OK- so, when I put this machine together years ago, I took a .c file for a VFD, modified a few lines for my particular VFD, compiled it, and integrated it in. Simple as that should be, I do recall it was a significant hassle to get it to actually DO the compile. I don't remember why, just going through some frustrating back-and-forth of "use this line". "didn't work, gave me this error". "well, it's easy fix this sort of thing when I'm at the machine". "ok great what exactly do I need to do, exactly?". "just keep trying you're close".

Do I need to recompile it for the new machine, or is it ok to just copy the compiled result over and save the trouble?

More
05 Apr 2021 23:57 #205000 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic RT-Preempt on J1900 NUC?

Do I need to recompile it for the new machine, or is it ok to just copy the compiled result over and save the trouble?

If it was compiled for a 32-bit CPU and a differnent realtime kernel, then you almost certainly need to recompile it.

But this time you know more.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds