New install 2.8.2 freezing in latency test & running configured machine

More
29 Jul 2021 09:01 #216202 by twatchorn
Hello Helpers,
I have been running LunuxCNC on operating system and version down loaded 3 or 4 years ago and running a router okay. I wanted to go to later version and also have PlasmaC. So using a different PC with WindowsXP still on it I have attempted to load later software.Installed 2.8.2 booting from DVD. Selected the "Graphical Install" option  (Is that the correct option I should choose??)Now it is loaded I am having freezing problems in the applications below – Screen and mouse freeze indefinitely, I have to power off PC and restart.Application menuIn CNC  if I click on option “latency test” – the screen freezesIn “Stepconfig wizard” I used the same values used in previous machine setup. Axis – 3 axis router with parallel port  - If clicking on latency test in the stepconfig wizard – the screen freezes.But I can complete the setup if I don’t test latency.When clicking on “Launch machine” decktop link for the created machine – the LinuxCNC logo with version info shows then – the screen freezes.In “LinuxCNC” option and selecting Axis it creates sample machine. When I click on the link created it opens okay and Off/On buttons work.

Any help appreciated
Regards Trevor 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2021 15:41 #216232 by PCW
Is this a parallel port system?

If not, run the latency test from the command line with:

latency-test 1ms 1ms

or run the latency histogram with

latency-histogram --nobase --sbinsize 1000

More
30 Jul 2021 00:11 #216286 by twatchorn
It is a parallel port machine setup.
Sorry the questions did not read well as the line spacings were removed when I pressed send. From the way I copy/pasted it no doubt.

More
30 Jul 2021 02:59 #216292 by PCW
It may be that the Preempt-RT kernel has such poor latency on your hardware
that the latency tests default base thread at 40 KHz (25 usec) uses up nearly
all the CPU cycles

You might try running:

latency-test 100us

to see if it still hangs

More
30 Jul 2021 09:09 #216326 by twatchorn
Hi PCW.
I ran latency-lest 100us. Base thread Max jitter is about 72000ns
So I presume this PC is not a got candidate for LinuxCNC.
I did try entering that value in the Stepconfig. max value allowed is 50000ns. So tried that. I was able to open my machine setup without screen freezing - but it was very slow about it.

More
30 Jul 2021 10:54 #216338 by tommylight
I would venture a guess that the processor is getting very hot and throtling down.
Cleaning the cooler and repasting with thermal compund might help.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds