2.8.2 preemtp-rt install - network hang on dhcpv6

More
01 Aug 2021 18:55 #216643 by blitz355
Hello,
I found a handful of other topics on a similar problem but none had great resolutions. I'm writing the official disk image from the downloads page to a usb via both win32 disk and balenaEtcher (tried both with same behavior). During the install portion for network setup I get to the part 'attempting to setup dhcpv6 ....' then the page goes blank and am no longer able to proceed during the installation

I am hooked up via ethernet, a known good connection, and even attempted to do install with a usb wireless dongle to no avail. As a last ditch I tried installing to disk on a different computer altogether and the same error occured. This leads me to believe it is my network, or the disk image itself. Seeing as I'm typing from my windows machine via a wired connection I don't see how it could be my network.

Any suggestions on working this out? I am able to skip the network attempt in the installer and can get the install to finish but that means I have absolutely zero repositories to update/install items from of which I'm not totally comfortable adding them manually (or which ones to add).

Thank you for any help in advance if you're able to assist.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2021 18:21 #216725 by tommylight
Skip the IPV6 if at all possible.

More
02 Aug 2021 21:20 #216750 by blitz355
Its part of install, not sure i can do that. Based on your response dhcp6 amd ipv6 are related

More
03 Aug 2021 12:57 #216812 by andypugh
Can you temporarily disable ipv6 dhcp on your local network?

More
16 Jan 2022 02:25 #231982 by oliver_savage
I also ran into this issue, even though dhcpv6 is disabled on my router. The workaround I used was to skip the network setup and finish the install. I assigned a manual ip address. You may have to do this on both the computer, and router, but probably just one.
wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration

As a side note, my router had assigned an IP to the computer at some point, and the mac address matched. I just set my machine to the same ip, and was good to go. Then you can set it back to dhcp and even turn ipv6 off if needed. www.faqforge.com/linux/how-to-disable-ipv6-on-debian-10/

More
12 Mar 2023 08:58 - 14 Mar 2023 12:37 #266477 by Arro23
Hallo,

have the same problem with the network-configuration (dhcpv6). The automatic installation hangs up there and stop proceeding.

Tried the following:
- linuxcnc-2.8.2-buster.iso
- linuxcnc-2.8.0-buster.iso
- linuxcnc-2.8.4-buster.iso

All have the same problem.

Did not try the manual expert-installation, maybe there is possible to skip the network setup. You have any ideas how to proceed with that ?

Due to UEFI needs cannot use the linuxcnc-2.7.14-wheezy RTAI.iso.
LinuxCNC_2.9.0-amd64.hybrid.iso is also not working on my HW.

###########################################################################
###########################################################################

Manual expert installation:

just tried the expert manual installation, skipping the network-setup. Obviously some internet-related package download cannot be performed.
However performed the steps until the system-installation.
Everything apparently working fine... /root, /home and swap partitions should be written correctly.

The next step "Configure the package manager" is not working due to the missing internet connection for reaching http, https or ftp sites (so select the option "continue without network mirror"). This shouldn't be a big deal. just not able to download security updates, releases update or backported software.

Everything more or less fine until we reach the next step "Install the GRUB boot loader on a hard disk".

By a normal manual Linux installation it is requested to chose the partition (or disk) where to install the boot loader files (before starting the system installation). NOT in this case, where the boot loader installation is started without giving choice to select any partition, even if the partition-setup has been made before the system installation to setup the /root /home /SWAP and /Efi (the last one intended for boot loader files) partitions.
Boot loader installation started... despite it is assumed the installation to use the /Efi partition to install boot loader, the step gives the following failure:

"The grub-efi-amd64 package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot."  (that's obvious)
(what is /target/ ???, I don't have this in my partition table)
Advice (continue without boot loader):
" No boot loader has been installed, ... bla bla bla.
 You will need to boot manually with the /vmlinuz kernel on partition /dev/sda14 (my foreseen /root partition) and root=/dev/sda14 boot=live plainroot passed as a kernel argument "

Can anyone explain this last comment, about manually boot ???

So just performed the step "Finish installation".
After restart I get a black screen with following written (some kind of line editing terminal):
GNU GRUB version 2.06-3~deb11u5
Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.

grub> _

How to proceed ? Is it possible to login from this black screen and re-install the boot loader files correctly in the /Efi partition /sda13 ??

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Cheers
Aronne
Last edit: 14 Mar 2023 12:37 by Arro23. Reason: installation steps completion

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds