Debian 10 Buster PREEMPT-RT ISO

More
01 Sep 2021 08:20 #219316 by max_2021
Hello,

I am a German user and have been running a milling machine with Linux-EMC (first very old Ubuntu and now an old Debian Hybrid-ISO) on the parallel port for a few years.
Works also so far everything smoothly.
Now it is so that I can no longer update the old Linux operating system and would like to integrate the computer into the network.

I have now read that there is a new ISO on Debian 10 basis.
Link:
linuxcnc.org/downloads/

Quickly made a Linux USB stick with it and installed on the same computer but new hard drive.
Installation has worked so far.
Unfortunately this ISO is based on the PREEMPT-RT patch and I have a high latency of 50000. With the former
RTAI kernel only about 27000. So I could work very well.
In the manual
Link:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/getting-start...#cha:Installing-RTAI

it says how to update to a RTAI kernel.
Unfortunately the manual is not correct anymore.
The command

sudo apt-get install linuxcnc

leads to nothing. There is no package linuxcnc.

Yes I know that this kernel and the associated linuxcnc is experimental. But then you should remove that from the instructions.

What bothers me a lot are the many manuals in the internet that refer to outdated Linux (EMC) distributions. When I set up my machine years ago, it was a cramp to get the right information. As it seems nothing has changed. You can always find a piece here and there.
Maybe the authors should exclude old or even better call a new page into life where really only the newest is to be found.

I installed the new image on an industrial mainboard Kontron D3543-S with J5005 CPU. But it also has a latency of about 50000.
Also it only allows installation in UEFI mode. Old Linux images are not possible.

Ok, but that does not help me now. Does anyone have an idea how to get to the RTAI kernel?

What about Debian Bullseye and RTAI kernel in the future? Makes sense, since it includes a 5 year support and is quite current.

Sincerely. Max

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2021 00:41 #219384 by andypugh

sudo apt-get install linuxcnc

leads to nothing. There is no package linuxcnc.

The process there worked for me a week or so ago. (the page was updated at that time)

Did you update the apt sources?

More
02 Sep 2021 05:39 #219399 by max_2021
Hello,

Yes I copied all the commands and ran them in the terminal.
The package sources were also updated.
Only the last command sudo apt-get install linuxcnc brought an error message that this package is missing.
I restarted the computer and started synaptic to see if the package linuxcnc is present. But it is not.

can anyone confirm this?

MfG. 

More
02 Sep 2021 23:32 #219471 by andypugh
Can you check your repository settings? Perhaps there are duplicate entries or something?

There are some simplified instructions here: forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...-cnc?start=20#217918

More
03 Sep 2021 15:25 #219536 by max_2021
Thanks andypugh,

Everything works through this link.
I can now install LinuxCNC without any problems. This also installs the RTAI kernel.
Also the latency was reduced from almost 50000 to 32000.

I was of course interested why it does not work with the original instructions
Link:  linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/getting-start...#cha:Installing-RTAI

I found that the command

echo deb linuxcnc.org/ buster base 2.8-rt | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc.list
creates a new linuxcnc.list.

If you now use the command:
echo deb-src linuxcnc.org/ buster base 2.8-rt | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc.list
the linuxcnc.list you just created will be regenerated.
The line is then missing 
"echo deb linuxcnc.org/ buster base 2.8-rt | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc.list"

If you enter both lines like the link from you and save everything works.

Can it be that in the manual a wrong syntax was written.

MfG

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

More
03 Sep 2021 16:02 #219540 by andypugh

echo deb-src http://linuxcnc.org/ buster base 2.8-rt | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc.list
the linuxcnc.list you just created will be regenerated.

I see the problem, there is a -a (append) missing from those instructions (but it is present in the example above)
echo deb http://linuxcnc.org/ buster base 2.8-rt | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc.list
 echo deb-src http://linuxcnc.org/ buster base 2.8-rt | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc.list

I will fix it now, but it will take some hours to make it to the web docs.

More
06 Sep 2021 15:30 #219766 by max_2021
Thanks now it works.

What always amazes me that no one says anything.
Even the creator of this documentation should check something like that again.

More
08 Sep 2021 17:15 #219974 by andypugh
I am the creator of this documentation.
It's non-trivial to re-set a working system back to zero to check this sort of thing.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds