Linuxcnc 2.9 on Arch Linux

More
16 Oct 2021 08:02 - 31 Oct 2021 03:44 #223284 by Joco
For a little bit of variety and after being pulled down the rabbit hole by Turboss I documented installing linuxcnc under Arch Linux on my HP T610.  It has been useful as I seem to have reduced latency by 8-10us down to around 25us.  But be warned this is Arch Linux, so like Gentoo is wants to have plenty of disk space to play in as it pulls down a mix of binaries and source and builds packages on the fly.

Anyway, I thought I would share in case anyone else got enthused.  :-)

Arch Linux linuxcnc deps list

Guided install of Arch Linux.  Key choics are to select desktop and xfce. This while in the Arch Linux boot strap terminal.
pacman -Sy python-archinstall
python -m archinstall --script guided

Assumes:
- you have now rebooted into you new and very basic Arch Linux install
- have installed yay (https://github.com/Jguer/yay)
- you take the latest version packages to install (i.e. typically from extra or community)
- Disable sudo password timeout per tips and tricks at: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/sudo
- have used yay to install linux-rt
- have left all build dependencies in place after each build
- you use the follwoing extra switches on ./configure
    --disable-gtk2  This means no classic ladder
    --enable-non-distributable=yes    this allows arch gpl3 vertsion of readline
- you have added .local/bin to your path

Using yay:
yay -Sy python-pip libmodbus-dev libtirpc intltool boost-libs boost tcl tclx tk tkimg bwidget glu python-opengl python-cairo python-pyqt5 python-xlib python-qscintilla-qt5 qt5-svg python-pyqt5-webengine python-numpy python-opencv dbus-python qt5-multimedia python-wheel python-setuptools python-devtools qt5-declarative gst-plugins-bad qt5-tools lsb-release qt5-quickcontrols python-espeak man-db

Install using python:
python3 -m pip install yapps2

After the above perform a noraml RIP based build of source code. i.e. no debian package builds.  e.g.:
> git clone git://github.com/linuxcnc/linuxcnc.git linuxcnc-dev
> cd linuxcnc-dev/src
> ./autogen.sh
> ./configure --with-realtime=uspace --disable-gtk2 --enable-non-distributable=yes
> make -j3
Last edit: 31 Oct 2021 03:44 by Joco. Reason: added optional man-db
The following user(s) said Thank You: TurBoss, tommylight, my1987toyota, MoshKopp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2021 08:47 #223287 by MoshKopp
Replied by MoshKopp on topic Linuxcnc 2.9 on Arch Linux
Nice, will give it try. Thank you for sharing your experience

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds