Going from 2.8.2 to 2.9 not working in the package manager

More
21 Nov 2021 06:32 #227172 by superbug
Hi Guys,  I'm running into the problem where the buildbot repository won't let me update from 2.8.2 to 2.9. This is starting from a clean iso install of 2.8 buster.
I have followed the instructions at the Linux build bot page.  I can remove 2.8.2 in the package manager and I got the updated packages for 2.9 listed in the manager after a repository update for buster master-rtpreempt. When I select linuxcnc-uspace for installation it comes up with 17 unresolvable dependancies for Python3 and says not installable along with one for espeak-ng, libgtksourceview-3.0-debv.
 If I go back and point the package manager at buildbot/linuxcnc.org, buster, 2.8-preempt, that re-installs just fine.
 Any ideas?  After watching the video of the update from 2.7 to 2.9 using the same method I'm stumped. It's not the signing key.  That step worked with no issues.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2021 08:54 #227175 by rodw
What OS and version are you running?

There has been a big change with the full adoption of python 3 in 2.9
So much so I could not resolve the issues on Mint 17.3 and had to upgrade the OS.
Mint 19.3 was behind the required version of python 3 too. 

There is a thread about installing MXlinux which is detailed. My solution was to install on Debian Bullseye but that meant I had to compile from source. MX is probably a better option unless you know what you are doing...

More
21 Nov 2021 11:14 #227184 by bevins

Hi Guys,  I'm running into the problem where the buildbot repository won't let me update from 2.8.2 to 2.9. This is starting from a clean iso install of 2.8 buster.
I have followed the instructions at the Linux build bot page.  I can remove 2.8.2 in the package manager and I got the updated packages for 2.9 listed in the manager after a repository update for buster master-rtpreempt. When I select linuxcnc-uspace for installation it comes up with 17 unresolvable dependancies for Python3 and says not installable along with one for espeak-ng, libgtksourceview-3.0-debv.
 If I go back and point the package manager at buildbot/linuxcnc.org, buster, 2.8-preempt, that re-installs just fine.
 Any ideas?  After watching the video of the update from 2.7 to 2.9 using the same method I'm stumped. It's not the signing key.  That step worked with no issues.

I just did this exercise twice and it does 'work, but you need to do some manual labor.  First you need to update and upgrade but before doing that remove the linuxcnc repositories and make sure you can upgrade with no errors. IF not, you need to resolve the dependencies by installing.

Once that works, then add the linuxcnc repositories. update and upgrade with sudo apt-get update then sudo apt-get upgrade.
look at the failing dependencies, There is an option -fix broken lalala, something on those lines. You need to run that exactly as it tells you.

Then it will work. I didn't write it down when I did it so I don't remember exactly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
21 Nov 2021 12:06 - 21 Nov 2021 12:07 #227189 by bevins
OK I just reinstalled debian buster on  my dev machine. Went through to upgrade to 2.9 master and it worked.
However, you need to deal with some descrepencies. 

After uninstalling linuxcnc and removing repo's pointing to it then do a sudo apt-get update / upgrade.
This will leave some packages unresolved and you need to deal with these.

Sudo apt-get autoremove      will take care of the housekeeping. again: sudo apt-get update then upgrade
You should see some apps three abpout that need dealing with. 
sudo apt-get --with-new-pkgs upgrade

This should get you to a clean update and upgrade and upgrading the rt-kernel to 18.

Now for some reason I cannot get synaptics to take the buildbot repository.
I just add it to /etc/apt/sources.list   manually and save the file.
sudo apt-get update then sudo apt-get upgrade
This should get you to where you need to go.
Then just go into synaptics and search linuixcnc and install....

Cheers, have fun

Last edit: 21 Nov 2021 12:07 by bevins.

More
22 Nov 2021 07:22 - 22 Nov 2021 07:25 #227273 by superbug
  Here is what I tried, I got closer. Only 4 issues left.  Need some ideas as I'm not a subject matter expert in Linux

1. Clean ISO install of LinuxCNC 2.8.2, image 4.19.0-9rt, build 2021-07-06 21:57:36, live build 2:20190311 (Debian 10)
2. Went to repositories and deselected everything except the debian.org entries and deselect the security entries and reloaded.
3. Opened terminal and did sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade. It updated.
4. Reboot.
5.  Went to synaptic, searched linuxcnc and removed linuxcnc entries.
6.  Reboot
7.  Went to repositories and ensured only debian is selected.
8. Opened terminal and did sudo apt update. All packages are up to date, sudo apt remove to cleanup
9. Changed the repositories to the following and did a reload.
 (http)://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free
 (http)://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates main contrib non-free
 (http)://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security main
10. Opened terminal and did sudo apt update, 788 packages can update, then did sudo apt upgrade.
11. Reboot
12. Open terminal lsb_release -a shows Debian 11
13.Go to repositories and update linuxcnc entries to buildbot.linuxcnc buster master rtpreempt and reload, uncheck everything except those.
14. Open terminal run sudo apt update. Comes back as buildbot.linuxcnc.org buster InRelease is up to date.
15. Go to Synaptic and search linuxcnc and select uspace and uspace dev for install and still get all the unresolved dependencies
16. Open terminal and sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list file and manually add the buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ buster master-rtpreempt entries. This wasn't in the file but it was in the Repositories GUI.
17. Reboot
18. Run sudo apt update in terminal.  Says linuxcnc is up to date. run sudo apt upgrade. nothing needs upgrading.
19. Back to synaptic to mark linuxcnc 1.2.9 entries for install. Still a list of unresolvable dependencies.
20. Mark librsvg2-dev for install and apply. it does about a dozen other changes for that one item.
21. Reboot
22. Then I walked through 32 of the missing dependencies and installed them one by one in synaptic BUT came up with the following errors on last try of linuxcnc uspace install.

wants python3 (<3.8)           3.9.2-3 is installed
    wants libboost-python1.67.0     1.74.0-9 is installed
    wants libpython3.7 (>=3.7.0)      no lib that's just 3.7.  have two entries that are libpython3.7-minimal and libpython3.7-stdlib that are installed
    wants libreadline5 (>=5.2)       this lib doesn't show up.

What's next???  So close.

Last edit: 22 Nov 2021 07:25 by superbug.

More
22 Nov 2021 09:09 #227284 by bevins
You had Debian 10 installed. You just needed to upgrade to linuxcnc 2.9 master. Why would you go through the process of upgrading to Debian 11?  
Debian 11 has issues with python / Qtvcp and or QTPlasmac. It segfaults everytome because of it.  Now you have issues with different versions of python and you have software that ones one version pf python and software that needs the other version of python.

I'm not sure you will get this resolved. Debian 10 works, I installed it 4 times last weekend and upgraded to linuxcnc master.

My suggestion would be to reinstall Debian 10, and get it to upgrade to master. This will work. This is probably not what you wanted to hear but look at the bright side, your getting good at installing and messing with packages.

More
22 Nov 2021 10:07 #227286 by rodw

Debian 11 has issues with python / Qtvcp and or QTPlasmac. It segfaults everytome because of it.  

The segfaults on closing have nothing to do with linuxcnc and its not restricted to Debian Bullseye. Its a Python 3.9 issue and is also a bug reported at Redhat.

My solution (which I've followed for 30 years or so) is to never turn a PC off!

More
22 Nov 2021 23:48 #227340 by andypugh
Also: The LinuxCNC buildbot is simply not building packages for Bullseye, so you can't get LinuxCNC on Bullseye that way. Stick with Buster.

More
23 Nov 2021 01:41 #227356 by superbug
It's all good. I was thinking I needed to go up one version on Debian also. Just got home and I'll do a clean install again. This is the easy part and yes it gives me some practice which I need. I'll post back with the results as I hope it helps other noobs like me.

More
23 Nov 2021 03:26 #227368 by superbug
  Ok,  here we go,

1. Clean ISO install of LinuxCNC 2.8.2, image 4.19.0-9rt, build 2021-07-06 21:57:36, live build 2:20190311 (Debian 10)
  2. Go to synaptic search linuxcnc mark and remove all entries.
  3. reboot
  4. Uncheck the linuxcnc in the repositories
  5. open terminal and sudo apt update and then sudo apt upgrade and then sudo apt autoremove to cleanup
  6. reboot
  7. in terminal sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list and add in the buildbot.linuxcnc.org buster master-rtpreempt repositories
  8. Go to repositories and uncheck everything except the buildbot entires and reload
  9. Open terminal and sudo apt update and then sudo apt upgrade. This said all was up to date.
  8. Go to synaptic and search linuxcnc and mark and install the english docs
  9. mark and try to install the uspace.  Write down the missing 37 dependencies
 10. enable all debian repositories
 11. In synaptic search and install all missing dependencies.
 12. search linuxcnc and mark linuxcnc uspace and uspace-dev and install.
 13. And yes Dorthy, there is a Santa Claus.  It worked!!!

Thank you for the tips to get this going.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds