Installing LinuxCNC on other Linux distros does not work anymore

More
13 Jun 2022 00:12 #245035 by tommylight
WARNING:
Everything below pertains to using Master builbot packages in an attempt to have some options besides Debian, although since LinuxCNC is now in the Debian repositories, this is just an exercise in futility matched only by it's monumental failure, as can be seen below.
-
Last few days have been a pain trying to install LinuxCNC on these distros:
-Linux Mint 20.3 (again) = does not work
-Depin Linux = does not work / chinese so i did not bother much
-Ubuntu 22.04 = does not work / i hate it, tends to send a lot of info all over the world
-Pop! OS 22.04 = got it installed, Axis does not work, QTDragon does not work, QtPlasmaC does not work, but GmoccaPy does work. Also, it will not use RT kernels without some heavy lifting, so still not usable.
--
This is mostly due to new builds of LinuxCNC not reporting any missing dependencies in GDebi, having strange Python requirements (complaining something in LinuxCNC requires version under 3.10 while something else requires over 3.8!!!) etc etc, not going to deep as there is no reason or justification for it.
--
And Rod, no i do not want to compile it! :) :) :)
P.S.
I do not do this for me, it is for new users (when it works) to give them something more polished than XFCE.
So that leaves us with the only option of using Debian and doing some quick tutorials on how to safely install other desktop environments and switch to using them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2022 12:54 - 13 Jun 2022 12:55 #245067 by snowgoer540
FWIW, I just installed LCNC on MX Linux 21.1 (on a virtual machine) last night.  It went without a single hitch (other than missing a few dependencies from the original list Phill had given me).

I am getting ready to make a guide, but I'm happy to share the text based steps here if you'd like to give it a try?  I do plan to have a visual click-by-click guide in addition to the text based dump for those who don't need the other version, all in the same post.  

EDIT: Maybe you are referring to package installs, in which case, yea that doesn't work.  
Last edit: 13 Jun 2022 12:55 by snowgoer540.

More
13 Jun 2022 15:01 #245073 by bevins

FWIW, I just installed LCNC on MX Linux 21.1 (on a virtual machine) last night.  It went without a single hitch (other than missing a few dependencies from the original list Phill had given me).

I am getting ready to make a guide, but I'm happy to share the text based steps here if you'd like to give it a try?  I do plan to have a visual click-by-click guide in addition to the text based dump for those who don't need the other version, all in the same post.  

EDIT: Maybe you are referring to package installs, in which case, yea that doesn't work.  

I am interested in anything you can provide other than rip version. I have to deliver this week a system and stuck trying to get anything to work.
Is it just a compile of linuxcnc with the correct dependencies? I need to have QTplasmaC as this is a plasma machine

More
13 Jun 2022 15:57 #245078 by snowgoer540
Just follow the directions in the post I linked you to recently.  Both package and rip installs are covered there.  Build bot should work for Buster (what that version of Mx Linux is based upon)

More
13 Jun 2022 18:15 #245081 by tommylight
Thank you Snowwy, but i need this for other users, not me.
Personally, i can run pretty much anything on anything, been using Linux for over 25 years now.
Shhhh, do not tell anyone, but i did make Mint 20 work, it just takes half a day chasing stuff. :)
I would like to say that i will not try this anymore since it is going mainstream, but come Mint 21, i am sure i will try it again! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
13 Jun 2022 18:24 #245083 by snowgoer540

Thank you Snowwy, but i need this for other users, not me.
Personally, i can run pretty much anything on anything, been using Linux for over 25 years now.
Shhhh, do not tell anyone, but i did make Mint 20 work, it just takes half a day chasing stuff. :)
I would like to say that i will not try this anymore since it is going mainstream, but come Mint 21, i am sure i will try it again! :)

Hmm, does it have to be Debian 11 based? Mx Linux 19.4 is pretty user friendly and would still allow the buildbot packages…
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
13 Jun 2022 18:59 #245084 by tommylight
Give POP! OS a try, leme know what you think, but from a beginners perspective.
Besides user name and password, it requires about 3 clicks to install and run, it has a VERY appealing look and feel, everything seems smooooooooth, etc etc, so having that with LinuxCNC will have people flocking over in a heartbeat.
That is my point, new users.
Not getting them traumatized at the very start with git and compile and stuff that can and will go sideways easily, to the point of poor souls having nightmares and waking up in a pool of their own sweat ! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S, JohnnyCNC, snowgoer540

More
13 Jun 2022 20:36 #245087 by snowgoer540

Give POP! OS a try, leme know what you think, but from a beginners perspective.
Besides user name and password, it requires about 3 clicks to install and run, it has a VERY appealing look and feel, everything seems smooooooooth, etc etc, so having that with LinuxCNC will have people flocking over in a heartbeat.

Perhaps I will check it out when I get some time!

That is my point, new users.
Not getting them traumatized at the very start with git and compile and stuff that can and will go sideways easily, to the point of poor souls having nightmares and waking up in a pool of their own sweat ! :)

Haha yea that’s what I was trying to avoid with the guide I made. A lot of button clicks, but it’ll give you a great experience if you can bake a cake :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Clive S

More
14 Jun 2022 02:34 #245096 by bevins
Thanks snowgoer540,

It works like a charm. I bypassed the windows look alike stuff and went straight to the nitty gritty.
I have three machines running debian I have to update to the latest qtplasmac but they are running debian and it will break so I can use this to get them the latest.

The only issue is I dont want to have to rebuold the configs. Is there an easy way to get to a year old qtplasmac config up to the latest? Or do I have no choice but to rebuild the config? Where can I get the version# of qtplasmac from within the config folder?

Thanks again for your work in this guid. IT is very appreciated and helpfull. great job.

Bob

More
14 Jun 2022 10:56 - 14 Jun 2022 10:58 #245105 by snowgoer540

Thanks snowgoer540,

It works like a charm. I bypassed the windows look alike stuff and went straight to the nitty gritty.
I have three machines running debian I have to update to the latest qtplasmac but they are running debian and it will break so I can use this to get them the latest.

The only issue is I dont want to have to rebuold the configs. Is there an easy way to get to a year old qtplasmac config up to the latest? Or do I have no choice but to rebuild the config? Where can I get the version# of qtplasmac from within the config folder?

Thanks again for your work in this guid. IT is very appreciated and helpfull. great job.

Bob

Glad to know people find it useful, and it got you going again.

Yea, the windows stuff is optional, seemed like a "nice to have" for new users as many come from windows. Helps ease the transition I guess.

For configs, you can copy the folder over. QtPlasmaC will do any work necessary on any files in the config folder automagically, to get them up to snuff with the latest version. Worse case is it doesnt work, and you have to redo the configs manually, but it should go off without a hitch.

One thing to keep in mind, there is a symlink in the config folder back to the qtplasmac folder in the project. That needs to be there. Being that you are going from buildbot machine to buidbot machine, it shouldnt change, but it's worth verifying. In your case it should point to:
/usr/share/doc/linuxcnc/examples/sample-configs/by_machine/qtplasmac/qtplasmac

If the link is messed up or the folder is missing, you can fix it with these instructions:

EDIT: Thinking on it for another second, I think this is all covered in the install guide (using qtplasmac as an example).
Last edit: 14 Jun 2022 10:58 by snowgoer540.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bevins

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds