No boot option

More
14 Aug 2022 07:57 - 17 Aug 2022 17:34 #249703 by Katakuri2004
No boot option was created by Katakuri2004
I'm attempting to install LinuxCNC on a dated Acer Aspire Switch 10. I know how to use computers, but I haven't used Linux yet. I believe that LinuxCNC is a standalone operating system, much like Windows itself, am I correct? And that the files must be on a bootable drive created with Rufus in order to launch the programme. When I select boot from USB on my Acer laptop, it tells me that the system "doesn't have usb option," which is where my issue is. Is the HDD empty or am I missing something? Is the laptop locked and "unusable"? I came across an instructable using the same laptop for a different purpose, still running Linux, and switching the boot device.

Last edit: 17 Aug 2022 17:34 by Katakuri2004.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2022 10:04 #249706 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic No boot option
Yes, Linux is an standalone operating system.
Short info:
Download the Buster ISO from the download page, use Rufus or win32diskimager or any other to write the downloaded ISO to the USB drive, set the PC to boot from USB or press F12, F11, F9 after powering on the PC, use the Live version to test or use the installer to do a permanent install on the hard drive, reboot.
Make sure "secure boot" is disabled in BIOS, also enable "legacy" mode as some PC's will refuse to boot from USB in UEFI mode.
While you are in BIOS, also disable hyperthreading, C states, anything with power saving and virtualisation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds