start4.elf not compatible

More
24 Aug 2022 17:01 #250335 by NDF
Hello, I am new to linux and cnc both. I am currently just trying to get linux cnc running on a rpi4 with 2gb ram (board says 2018 on it). when trying to boot the install image linuxcnc-uspace_2.8.1_amd64.deb I get the error start4.elf not compatible. I found that some people had this issue in other contexts and they found that an eeprom update resolved the issue so I booted this rpi with a standard 64 bit rpi operating system and ran an eeprom update. This did nothing to change the problem. I am out of ideas and have looked everywhere for help.

It may also be relevant that what I was using this rpi for before was a rak lora gateway so idk if that install reformated the onboard firmware.

Am I correct in understanding that this is a compatibility issue between onboard firware(eeprom) and software(linux cnc image)?
I as well have a rpi 400 that I could use for this cnc build so if anyone could point me to a good install method for a 400 that would work too. When trying that install I was unable to make the network connectivity work therefore I was unable to install mesaflash which I need.

Thank you all so much for your help!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2022 19:40 #250347 by arvidb
Replied by arvidb on topic start4.elf not compatible
You cannot run amd64 binaries on a Raspberry Pi - the Pi has an arm processor! So you need binaries built for arm(64?), not amd64. (This is not something you can solve with an eeprom update - use the correct boot image instead.)

More
25 Aug 2022 00:35 #250366 by NDF
Replied by NDF on topic start4.elf not compatible
*correction the install image I am trying to boot is linuxcnc-2.8.1-pi4.zip not uspace for amd

More
25 Aug 2022 00:36 #250367 by NDF
Sorry I copied the wrong file path I was actually using the rpi4 install image from linuxcnc.org/docs/html/getting-started/getting-linuxcnc.html

More
25 Aug 2022 01:08 #250369 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic start4.elf not compatible
I think the lcnc image is only 32 bit. It is quite tricky to get  LCNC on 64 bit Pi. I have done it but there is a repo somewhere that has PREEMPT_RT for it that you need to use. Also VTK is problematic.

More
25 Aug 2022 01:15 #250370 by NDF
Thank you for your help. All I care about is getting my cnc mill going and I am not apposed to purchasing a different computer if that is a better option. I would like to spend less than 250 on a computer. It just seems like there are a lot of people running linux cnc on the same rpi I have and figure I am doing something wrong. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

More
25 Aug 2022 09:48 #250389 by tommylight
Did you check the md5sum of the downloaded image file?

More
25 Aug 2022 15:59 #250410 by NDF
I am unable to find the correct checksum for linuxcnc-2.8.1-pi4.zip but I ran a checksum on the downloaded file before writing it to my sd card and the result is 4902b7d129fb25a4ce60d588f6b2aeba.

Being that I am new to Linux and all of cnc I would really like to take a bottom up approach to learning linux cnc. What are your suggestions to learning this. My knowledge in the realm of programing is only decent proficiency in python and java. I am a bit fuzzy on computer architecture and firmware. I am not apposed to spending a year or so on this just need to know where to start. Thanks again it really amazes me that there is such a community of intelligent people eager to help with linux cnc.

More
25 Aug 2022 23:35 #250474 by NDF
I should be able to run a 32 bit version of linux cnc on this pi using an install image right? I feel as thought there is a large discrepancy in my knowledge of computer programs and architecture that is causing my frustration. I should be able to take any raspberry pi 4 and write a pi 4 linux cnc image to it and that should work and get me going with linux cnc right?

More
25 Aug 2022 23:55 #250475 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic start4.elf not compatible
There is a Bullseye 64bit image for pi with LinuxCNC 2.9 on this post.
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...cnc?start=130#238020

AFAIK you don't need VTK for any of the in tree LinuxCNC GUIs.

Time to create page: 0.322 seconds