Uninstalling LinuxCNC

More
02 Nov 2022 00:45 #255728 by arvidb
Replied by arvidb on topic Uninstalling LinuxCNC
tommylight, re-read the first post. No mention of Windows, and the whole idea was to *remove* one HDD and get LinuxCNC reinstalled to coexist on the same SSD as the Mint install.

I agree about the "Never remove a drive from a running PC" part! (While SATA can support hot-plugging you REALLY need to know what you're doing if you want to avoid messing up the file systems involved...)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2022 00:58 #255733 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Uninstalling LinuxCNC

tommylight, re-read the first post. No mention of Windows, and the whole idea was to *remove* one HDD and get LinuxCNC reinstalled to coexist on the same SSD as the Mint install.

Oh cr@p!
Sorry for the mess up, to damn tired.
In that case, installing Mint over Debian works, installing Debian over Mint does not, without decent knowledge of Linux file systems.
That would involve manually partitioning the drive, installing Debian on the created partition without installing grub, then booting Mint and doing an update grub to find the new installation and add it to grub.

More
02 Nov 2022 01:14 #255735 by OskarXYZ
Replied by OskarXYZ on topic Uninstalling LinuxCNC
On the boot grub menu there is a line "Recovery Linux Mint....." what this recovery means? Recover a vanilla Linux Mint or recover my Linux Mint including my configurations?

More
02 Nov 2022 01:15 - 02 Nov 2022 01:15 #255736 by arvidb
tommylight: Yes, I suggested repartitioning the drive from a LiveCD in a previous post to make room for a 32 GiB partition for LinuxCNC.

(From OskarXYZ's later posts though I have no idea what was *actually* done, or in what order. This "minimum 62 GB" for example: gparted doesn't enforce such a limit for a new partition. Perhaps that was the minimum size for the existing Mint partition? Which he then proceeded to format? Who knows...)
Last edit: 02 Nov 2022 01:15 by arvidb.

More
02 Nov 2022 01:18 #255737 by tommylight

On the boot grub menu there is a line "Recovery Linux Mint....." what this recovery means? Recover a vanilla Linux Mint or recover my Linux Mint including my configurations?

It does not recover anything, it just boots with no graphical drivers and some other stuff.
It is to make a system still bootable after a messup so it can be recovered.

More
02 Nov 2022 01:19 #255738 by arvidb

Neither. See e.g. this link: softhints.com/linux-mint-recovery-mode-advanced-boot-options/

I would strongly suggest not to perform any operations on your SSD before figuring out what has actually happened. Boot a LiveCD and examine the disk from that system, until you *understand* what's happened to its partitions and file systems during your earlier actions.

More
02 Nov 2022 01:27 #255739 by OskarXYZ
Not saying I didn’t make a mistake but I’m sure gparted said on my free 200GB space the new partition minimum size is 62GB and max was 200GB. I input 50GB and it repeat 62 is the minimum. That’s not important any more, the task now is to try recovering my Linux Mint

Ok, I will re boot with my LiveCD and try to find out what partitions I have on the 240GB SSD

Thanks

More
02 Nov 2022 01:27 #255740 by tommylight
I just ran through this topic, had to since i went off base earlier. !:)
Can we start over?
Do you have anything important on those drives and on the Mint portion?
If you have only machine configs, copy those to a USB.
In short, it takes about 20 minutes to install any of the distros you like, so it is much faster and safer to start over, or leave the existing Mint drive as is and use the other one for Debian/LinuxCNC 2.8.4.
Linux Mint 21 install with LinuxCNC 2.9 is here:
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...ter-on-linux-mint-21

More
02 Nov 2022 01:28 #255741 by arvidb
OskarXYZ: To get help figuring out the current state of the SSD, take a screenshot (or a photo) of the gparted window when run from the LiveCD system, and showing the partition layout of the SSD. Then post it here (use Attachments to attach images to posts).

More
02 Nov 2022 02:13 #255744 by OskarXYZ
First I will say what I found with my LiveCD (disk 1 is the one I want to recover at all cost):

Disk1 234GB PCI ATA
MBR Grub2 (v1.97)
Partition1: 27.9GB (that’s where Linux Mint is installed)
Linux native (usually ext2fs)
Boot Flag: NO (my opinion the problem is here, it should have been Yes?)
Partition: 2 58.68GB
Linux native (usually ext2fs)
Boot Flag: YES
It didn’t say anything about the free space available

From the above, is there any way to switch the boot flag to YES in partition 1 ?

Now my reply to tommy: Yes we can start over tommy
The 234GB SSD disk has my Linux Mint and on it I have VirtualBox with my CAN/CAD programs and they are very important to me.
I thought about re installing Linux Mint and then use the Timeshift where I have 2 backups to restore what I need. However I never used Timeshift to restore and I don’t know which way is the best
For information: Timeshift is installed on my second 160GB HDD, nothing else here
LinuxCNC is on my third HDD 80GB, nothing else here and is working

The link arvidb posted about Recovery mode is very interesting but without any help it will not do any good to me

I will try to take a photo of the SSD parition within gparted and post back
May thanks

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds