Installing minimum version

More
14 Dec 2022 04:21 #259415 by sam2004
Hi.
I'm totally new to linux. How can I install linuxcnc that would require the minimum disk space? I just need only the functionality of the software.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2022 13:20 #259461 by tommylight
The official ISO from the downloads section is the minimum space and effort to get it going.
There are ways of getting smaller footprint, but that requires quite some effort and working from a terminal, starting with using a net ISO of Debian and adding things as needed.

More
14 Dec 2022 16:42 #259474 by sam2004
Replied by sam2004 on topic Installing minimum version
Thanks for the replay.
So that ISO contains Linuxcnc bundled with just the required OS and RTOS? Is it possible to install that ISO and then get rid of unnecessary stuff like applications and drivers that is not relevant to the motion control software?

More
14 Dec 2022 17:18 #259479 by tommylight
The ISO contains LinuxCNC and the required RT kernel.
RTOS is a different project.
And yes, it is possible to remove stuff you do not need, but i doubt it will save much as it already comes with litle extra stuff.
What is the issue with space?
Storage is cheap now, so...

More
14 Dec 2022 20:31 #259496 by sam2004
Actually, I'm not struggling with space issue as much as I can't get my head around the fact that a motion control software would have be be above gigabaye in size. I think something of comparable capabilities can be done in a few tens of megabyte at most.

More
14 Dec 2022 22:40 #259513 by tommylight
Motion control software, in this case LinuxCNC is very small, about 15MB in size.
The problem is that motion control software needs an underlying operating system so it can function, and that takes a lot of space.
Having said that, i wonder why, windows 10 takes over 60GB of space while almost all Linux distros i use take under 8GB of space, Mint 21 with plenty of other software added takes 13GB.

More
15 Dec 2022 00:59 #259525 by sam2004
Gone the good old days when totally functioning system fit 8Mb or so! I guess I will soon embark on finding a way to create a tiny OS(just file sys and simple GUI) over which modified Lcnc source can run. While software is not my specialty, I'm sure there will be lots of learning along the way.

More
15 Dec 2022 01:49 #259527 by tommylight
I am sure if you put some work in you can make it under 1Gb.
Have a look at
forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=5213
Or use this and add the realtime kernel and LinuxCNC, should be easy enough as those are in the debian repositories already.
puppex.exton.net/

More
15 Dec 2022 01:51 #259528 by tommylight
Almost forgot, you can always use TurboCNC that runs under DOS, so total space would be about 1 MB.
That is 1 megabyte. :)

More
15 Dec 2022 01:54 #259529 by sam2004
Much appreciated
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds