Running Ubuntu 10.04 LinuxCNC in virtual machine

More
12 Feb 2023 21:45 #264390 by jferguson
Out of frustration, (too many problems) I've given up trying to get 28.4 installed on my machine at home.  I do have Ubuntu Precise running in a Vbox virtual machine - simulations only.
I have a very good Ubuntu 18.04 running LinuxCNC at the shop pretty much flawlessly - it's the version which drives my machines.
My question is, which settings would allow the VM installation to become immune to the inevitable latency stops?  What should I change?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2023 22:12 #264391 by Bari
The VM can't support real time. I'm sorry.

More
12 Feb 2023 23:18 #264393 by jferguson
i thought i was clear that i was looking for a simulation, not real time.
It can be clunky and still do what I want which is to catch bad tool paths.

More
12 Feb 2023 23:54 #264395 by tommylight
You were not clear about anything (except frustration), i read your post 5 times and still could not figure why are you mentioning several versions of LinuxCNC and naming Linux versions at random, but i was sure you are trying to run a machine from a VM, from your post
My question is, which settings would allow the VM installation to become immune to the inevitable latency stops?
I even wrote a reply but decided to cancel it as not to add to your frustration.
-
Simulator can work on pretty much anything with a bit of effort, but i do not know what version you want ....

More
13 Feb 2023 00:59 #264400 by jferguson
let me take another whack at it. I want to trial run g-code at home. I have linuxcnc running in a ubuntu 10.04 virtual machine in vbox. it sort of works, but as you might expect it hangs with timing errors. I'm guessing that I can fix this with the right error and ferror settings but have no idea which direction to move them.

I did the compile which resulted in a wonderful linuxcnc running on ubuntu 18.04 at the shop - runs a mill and a router flawlessly, but I'm older and dumber and I don't want to go through it again so I was just hoping to make my little 10.04 be able to make it through a run without the "joint 2" stops.

Maybe it isn't easy.

As to the frustration, no way is that a slam at you guys. I have a screwy computer at home and wasn't expecting a new Debian installation was going to be a slam dunk. it's ok.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
13 Feb 2023 01:15 #264401 by tommylight
Did you try running the new ISO from the downloads page in the VM?
Should work, but if it ends up having issues with timings, install a vanilla kernel if possible and remove the RT kernel.
10.04 was in Ubuntu and used RTAI kernel, this in VM had issues.
2.8.4 is on Debian and uses the RT kernel, this should work, probably as is.
BTW, mostly, these days it is much easier to install LinuxCNC, so no compiling, and Debian already has included LinuxCNC in upcoming releases.

More
13 Feb 2023 01:49 #264402 by jferguson
Hi Tommy, the Debian 2.8.4 ISO ran just fine from the USB. I wanted to load it on a spare partition in my multi-boot machine at home, but first ran into the kernel not having the firmware for my wifi card, and then when I ran it on ethernet, not being able to get the grub routine to load.
I'm very sensitive to anyone else putting time into getting this fixed on my machine because of its peculiarities. I don't think sorting out my particular problems is worth the time to anyone else because my problems aren't typical.

so I'll try a fresh installation from the 2.8.4 iso in the morning and see where it goes. I'll let you know,
best,
john

More
13 Feb 2023 18:28 #264443 by jferguson
Success. I installed on partition /dev/sdc3 which had formerly held Ubuntu 18.04. The install routine wouldn't install the grub-boot stuff, but I found that when I did an update-grub on the Ubuntu 20.04 which is main OS on this computer, the Debian install showed up and could be selected and runs ok.
Except WIFI, I added the non-free sources to the source list and did and update an upgrade and there seems to be more recognition that there is a wifi card in the machine, but it won't scan available networks so I have some work to do, but that's entirely my problem, certainly not yours.

When running on ethernet it can see my other file-systems which makes it easy for me to trial run the g-code for my various projects on the mill I've set up on Debian. Thanks for your help.

john
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds