Installing LinuxCNC Beelink U59 Pro

More
17 Feb 2023 06:57 #264684 by vitorfranx
Hi, it's my first time posting in a forum. I'm Victor from Barcelona, Spain. I've been playing with a 3018 cnc for almost 2 years and I want a bigger machine. I wanted to try LinuxCNC to see if I like it for the next machine. To give you some context: I've tried lots of times to install Linux using the LinuxCNC image (2.8.4 I think) but no luck. Then I tried looking to install Linux then install LinuxCNC. After some tries the only image that didn't give me driver errors was this one: cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/no...d64-xfce+nonfree.iso I choose this one based on the problematic hardware post. I've had a problem with the display resolution (fixed at 800x600, 50 Hz) but it seemed to fade away as soon as I started to follow the install steps on the previously mentioned post. But I got stuck at some point and can't progress any further. I'll post photos of the problems I've got as soon as I get home. I'm working 10-12h a day, 5 out of 7 days a week so any kind of help to keep doing progress would be really appreciated. Feel free to point out any mistakes I've made a long the way and give me any recommendations you have.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2023 11:50 #264688 by rodw
Its a bit hard to help without any detail about your problems.
I'm not surprised new hardware needed a newer operating system. Thats expected
There is no installation for Debian 11. I recommend you follow this script to install linuxcnc
github.com/joco-nz/lcnc-bullseye-installer
We can help further when we have more info about your problems.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vitorfranx

More
17 Feb 2023 14:34 #264694 by elovalvo

More
18 Feb 2023 14:09 - 18 Feb 2023 14:15 #264750 by vitorfranx
Hi guys, I've followed the instructions on the link Rodw recommended.

I deleted Debian and downloaded the recommended image and installed it (I have all the screenshots in /var/log/installer/ but I can't copy them here because it requires some permission). I lost the initial log that happened before the reboot because I couldn't save it when the pop up message showed up. When booting I made sure to boot using the rt version. It seemed to go ok, I'm posting the log using the updater.sh.

One major problem is that I don't see where's LinuxCNC or if it's installed.

No errors during the install but the screen is 800x600 75Hz again. That problem went away during my last install when following the instructions of the post called "Installing Linuxcnc and Debian Bookworm on problematic hardware (eg. Realtek NIC". The problem was solved after the image install, when I open debian 6.1-rt.

Thanks guys for helping
victor@BeelinkU59Pro:~$ cd dev
victor@BeelinkU59Pro:~/dev$ cd lcnc-bullseye-installer
victor@BeelinkU59Pro:~/dev/lcnc-bullseye-installer$ ./updater.sh
./updater.sh: line 18: cd: /home/victor/dev/linuxcnc/rip: No such file or directory
hint: Pulling without specifying how to reconcile divergent branches is
hint: discouraged. You can squelch this message by running one of the following
hint: commands sometime before your next pull:
hint:
hint: git config pull.rebase false # merge (the default strategy)
hint: git config pull.rebase true # rebase
hint: git config pull.ff only # fast-forward only
hint:
hint: You can replace "git config" with "git config --global" to set a default
hint: preference for all repositories. You can also pass --rebase, --no-rebase,
hint: or --ff-only on the command line to override the configured default per
hint: invocation.
Already up to date.
head: cannot open 'debian/changelog' for reading: No such file or directory
./updater.sh: line 23: cd: /home/victor/dev/linuxcnc/rip/src/: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target 'clean'. Stop.
./updater.sh: line 25: ./autogen.sh: No such file or directory
./updater.sh: line 26: ./configure: No such file or directory
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
make: *** No rule to make target 'setuid'. Stop.
./updater.sh: line 33: cd: /home/victor/dev/linuxcnc/rip/debian/: No such file or directory
./updater.sh: line 34: ./configure: No such file or directory
./updater.sh: line 35: cd: /home/victor/dev/linuxcnc/rip/: No such file or directory
dpkg-buildpackage: error: cannot open file debian/changelog: No such file or directory
./updater.sh: line 39: cd: /home/victor/dev/linuxcnc/: No such file or directory
dpkg: error: cannot access archive 'linuxcnc-uspace__amd64.deb': No such file or directory
victor@BeelinkU59Pro:~/dev/lcnc-bullseye-installer$ pre { background: transparent }pre.western { font-family: "Liberation Mono", monospace; font-size: 10pt }pre.cjk { font-family: "Noto Sans Mono CJK SC", monospace; font-size: 10pt }pre.ctl { font-family: "Liberation Mono", monospace; font-size: 10pt }p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; background: transparent }
Last edit: 18 Feb 2023 14:15 by vitorfranx. Reason: The file I uploaded didn't get posted or I can't see it. So I just pasted the log.

More
19 Feb 2023 16:29 #264815 by royka
As far as I can see you're trying to update something you haven't installed yet.
In the Readme on GitHub it says to install:

cd ~
mkdir dev
cd dev
git clone github.com/joco-nz/lcnc-bullseye-installer.git
cd lcnc-bullseye-installer
chmod +x *.sh
./install_for_lcnc.sh

Since you've already downloaded the installer and I assume you've made the scripts executable "chmod +x *.sh" you should run "./install_for_lcnc.sh"

More
19 Feb 2023 16:36 #264816 by vitorfranx
I did all of that except the command chmod +x *.sh. I didn't saw that in the readme.md file. I'll try and post again.

More
20 Feb 2023 02:20 #264844 by royka
That's not what your log is showing, there you're running ./updater.sh instead of ./install_for_lcnc.sh
Couldn't you just install it from the apt repository? Not sure how the package is named, you could search for it "apt search linuxcnc"

More
25 Feb 2023 11:37 - 25 Feb 2023 12:27 #265312 by vitorfranx
Hi guys, I did a clean install again. I'm trying to put the log files here but it seems the file format is not right or something like that, I don't understand it. I'll edit this post if the files don't upload.

Edit:

After taking pictures with my phone I noticed I missed one step every time I followed the guide. When it asks for reboot, it says "please restart the installer script after the reboot"; I just went and used "update.sh" instead of "install_for_lcnc.sh".

And... It worked perfectly now!! Now I can start learning about how LinuxCNC works.

The only thing that is a problem is the display that is 800x600 75Hz.

Thanks for helping me
Last edit: 25 Feb 2023 12:27 by vitorfranx. Reason: I just updated the post

More
25 Feb 2023 12:37 #265321 by vitorfranx
Maybe I'm asking for too much but could this computer with the current install or other linuxcnc firmware be able to work with ethercat drivers? I saw some post in the forum but I didn't even read them because I couldn't install LinuxCNC.

I have access to new Mitsubishi motors and drivers, maybe I use them in the cnc.

More
25 Feb 2023 13:31 #265328 by andypugh

The only thing that is a problem is the display that is 800x600 75Hz.

It should be possible to fix that, if it isn't a monitor limitation. My Beelink (older model) runs at max monitor resolution. 

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds