Raspberry Pi Zero W?

More
09 May 2023 03:18 #270979 by echristley
I've been searching around, but can't find an answer to the questions of "Will LinuxCNC work on a Raspberry Pi Zero W?" or "Can I drive a Mesa 7C81 board with LinuxCNC on a Raspberry Pi Zero?"

For background, I built a router with LinuxCNC years ago, and I just acquired a Bridgeport CNC mill this past weekend.  The drivers for the steppers on the BP are from "Ah-Ha", which went out of business about 20yrs ago.  So, I want to replace the steppers with modern hybrids, and get a compact electronics installation.  I have an Acorn controller board, but that would require a Windows PC out in the workshop.  OTOH, I've got the Pi Zero right here in hand, surplus from another project.  If it could drive the Mesa, I'd be halfway there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2023 07:38 #270997 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Raspberry Pi Zero W?
Probably not.
That is just a guess from what i read.
Try running the ready made image in the download section.

More
09 May 2023 15:16 #271033 by echristley
Replied by echristley on topic Raspberry Pi Zero W?
Excellent idea.
Thank you.

More
10 May 2023 08:03 - 10 May 2023 08:06 #271089 by elovalvo
Replied by elovalvo on topic Raspberry Pi Zero W?

I've been searching around, but can't find an answer to the questions of "Will LinuxCNC work on a Raspberry Pi Zero W?" or "Can I drive a Mesa 7C81 board with LinuxCNC on a Raspberry Pi Zero?"

For background, I built a router with LinuxCNC years ago, and I just acquired a Bridgeport CNC mill this past weekend.  The drivers for the steppers on the BP are from "Ah-Ha", which went out of business about 20yrs ago.  So, I want to replace the steppers with modern hybrids, and get a compact electronics installation.  I have an Acorn controller board, but that would require a Windows PC out in the workshop.  OTOH, I've got the Pi Zero right here in hand, surplus from another project.  If it could drive the Mesa, I'd be halfway there.

LinuxCNC cannot be installed on Rasp Pi Zero
It only has 512 MB RAM
Last edit: 10 May 2023 08:06 by elovalvo.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds