LCNC on BeagleBoard AI64

More
06 Jun 2023 15:46 #273014 by microdruid
I’m trying to run linuxcnc on BB-AI64 (looking for a "natural" upgrade path for the machinekit on BBB that we’re using since 2015).Some months ago I manage to install the official image debian 11.3 2022-06-14, then upgrate to kernel 5.10.109-ti-arm64-r49 and install linuxcnc from debian packages (it’s a 2.9.0-pre0+git20221105).
Of course the system was not rt and then as expected the latency test exhibited very poor results both on base and servo thread (we don’t need soft stepgen: in BBB the axis are controlled by CAN with a driver running in the PRU, and we planned to do the same in BB-AI64, anyway the latency on servo was too high without rt). Linuxcnc seems running ok: latency test runs and also the sim mode of linuxcnc.Recently I’ve update to kernel 5.10.168-ti-arm64-r103 (still not rt, same results) then to 6.3.1-rt-arm64-k3-r16.
This latest is a preempt_rt kernel (the first and only one I was able to succesfully install on AI64) but results are not as expected: linuxcnc latency test starts but the results windows is not updating (all values are 0). Also when I start linuxcnc sim (the basic demo, axis.ini, that was normally runnig on “old” 5.10 non rt kernel) it ends with error window in the loading/init process.

I've then try running from the scratch: I followed the instructions on linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/code/building-linuxcnc.html and been able to compile it without errors, but the results are the same as with pre-built package installation. Tryed both 2.9 and "master" (2.10) versions without any markable difference in results. 2.8 have no valid configuration for bullseye-uspace so dependencies are not well defined and compilation result undeterminated (I've trusted the warning and not tryed to compile).

So actually the state is a working (but useless due to latency) LCNC on kernel 5.10 not RT, or a not-working (so still useless) LCNC on kernel 6.3 RT.
I've no idea on how to go further

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2023 15:58 #273016 by microdruid
Replied by microdruid on topic LCNC on BeagleBoard AI64
I forgot to attach the info/debug files that LCNC outputs when I run it. Not very usefull anyway (at least to me).
Attachments:

More
06 Jun 2023 16:18 #273017 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic LCNC on BeagleBoard AI64
Is it possible to install Debian BookWorm on it?
If yes, then all you need is
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install linuxcnc-uspace

More
07 Jun 2023 15:40 #273080 by cakeslob
Replied by cakeslob on topic LCNC on BeagleBoard AI64
You may get good results checking out the pocketNC (now Penta) repo. they have been woring with the BBAi for a while now.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds