Looking for 'brain dead instructions' !

More
14 Jul 2023 00:56 #275389 by JohnBr00ker
Although I resurfaced here in 2019, after a few years MIA, I never did get to building another machine here in Mississippi.
However, I'm back for another try, so please bear with me, as many of the old grey cells have atrophied in the interim.

First, I thought that I ran Axis in Linuxcnc, installed on a Ubuntu 8.04 machine , though it might have been Win98 (shows how long ago it was !)
Did quite a lot of work in UK on a home built 2.5D machine, using SuperCam to control it, and I've just found a stick with config files dated 2013, and Linuxcnc folder dated 2010 !

So now I've got Ubuntu 20.04 on a Dell GX620 desktop, and I've downloaded and created a bootable usb, with Buster on it.

If possible, I would keep the desktop offline, working in the garage along with the 'yet-to-be-built' demo carving machine. I would expect to install Buster as a program, so that I can also run inkscape, etc. when needed in ubuntu. Is this a normal set up ?
Regards all, and TIA for any help.
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2023 01:45 #275390 by tommylight
Buster is a Debian version of Linux, Ubuntu is a version of Linux based on Debian, so Buster is same as Ubuntu, in that they are both operating systems.
Although there are ways of running one inside another, normally you run one or another.
All that is by now useless, get the Debian BookWorm, it is the latest and LinuxCNC is already in the repos so can be installed with a single line.
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...c-on-debian-bookworm
And, Inkscape can be installed and run on any of the above
sudo apt install inkscape

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds