Error install LinuxCNC to Debian 12

More
22 Jul 2023 08:31 #275988 by rodw

Thanks.  However, the Ubuntu 22.04.01 remains installed.  Disabling Secure Boot at UEFI Firmware Settings allowed me to dual boot.  The Grub might require an update-grub if Secure Boot enabled.  www.linuxfoundation.org/blog/blog/classi...ting-grub-2-on-linux

Umm, your ubuntu is not running preempt_rt  and I think it is a paid option. You can't control a machine with Linuxcnc without it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2023 14:54 #275996 by smplc
LinuxCNC is installed on Debian 12 presently Preempt-RT.  The Ubuntu is a separate operating system.  However.  Did Debian and LinuxCNC require another Linux operating system to cross function because Debian too lightweight generally?
Attachments:

More
22 Jul 2023 21:36 #276027 by rodw
I don't know where you got the idea about Linuxcnc requiring anything but Debian.
Debian is certainly not lightweight. Ubuntu is actually a fork of Debian.

So if you have Debian and Linuxcnc on your system, why add another Linux distro?

Linuxcnc will run on most flavours of Linux but you may need to compile from source if Debs are not supported.

Debian Bookworm is running kernel 6.10 vs Ubuntu's 5.19.
Normally that is not an issue but in recent times, performance has been improving with each version of the kernel so 6.x is an advantage.
Plus Ubuntu only release the real time kernel with a pro subscription. Debian is truly open source so its included.
Sure you could build the RT kernel from source, but with Debian its all done for you.

More
22 Jul 2023 22:10 - 22 Jul 2023 22:12 #276031 by tommylight

So if you have Debian and Linuxcnc on your system, why add another Linux distro?

Probably because he likes how it looks. :)
Ubuntu uses GNOME Desktop Environment, and a lot of people like the looks, although a lot of people complained a lot when it first came out. Gnome gets updated frequently and currently (the latest version) beats the cr@p out of windoze for touch screen devices, even MS Surface tablets.
Edit:
Debian can also be used with GNOME, not sure what version of it though.
Last edit: 22 Jul 2023 22:12 by tommylight. Reason: more info

More
23 Jul 2023 00:15 #276034 by rodw

Probably because he likes how it looks. :)

But good looks don't run CNC machines in real time without stumping up with $25 a year. What a crock!
Ubuntu 22.04 the OP is using does not include the linuxcnc-uspace package.
CNC machines need good looks in the HMI, not in the OS.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cornholio

More
23 Jul 2023 00:26 #276036 by cornholio
The less eye candy the better.

Why pay $25 a year when you can roll your own kernel ?

Linux is about freedom of choice and binding one app to just one distro isn't quite what it's all about. Tho I understand the reasons for using Debian. And supporting all the Distros would be a bit crazy. Sorry rethought that, a lot crazy.

More
23 Jul 2023 00:36 #276038 by tommylight
Pretty sure the OP never mentioned running LinuxCNC on Ubuntu, or did he?
The following user(s) said Thank You: cornholio

More
23 Jul 2023 00:42 #276039 by cornholio
I think the issue was installing the RT kernel on Debian cos for some reason someone at Debian was asleep at the wheel and added the RPi stuff to the amd64 distro (not the net install).

More
23 Jul 2023 01:04 #276044 by smplc
Vaguely, I thought I read somewhere years ago that Debian 9 or 10 would require another Linux OS and now wonder if it had something to do with dual booting. Anyhow, I could use the Ubuntu OS for miscellaneous.

More
23 Jul 2023 02:13 #276047 by rodw

Vaguely, I thought I read somewhere years ago that Debian 9 or 10 would require another Linux OS and now wonder if it had something to do with dual booting. Anyhow, I could use the Ubuntu OS for miscellaneous.

Debian, 9,10,11 and 12 are stand alone Linux distributions just like different versions of Ubunu released over the years.

In any case, Debian 12.1 was released yesterday and the rpi issue should now be fixed in that release.

Ref: www.debian.org/News/2023/20230722#:~:tex...20serious%20problems.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds