Problem install linuxcnc 2.9.1 RTAI on linux mint debian 6

More
16 Dec 2023 23:05 #288371 by Ismacr63
As the title says, I have a problem installing linuxcnc 2.9.1 rtai on linux mint debian 6.
I install the rtai kernel and linuxcnc 2.9.1 for rtai and when I run it it crashes and I have to restart the pc.
Do you think it is possible, or is it currently not supported?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2023 12:06 #288387 by bkt
really think not .... debian 6 is 2014 .... linux mint last workable was 19.3 and rtai at that period give some problem, preempt was ok .... actually all work on debian 12 as you can see and download from official repo .... after these I run 2.10 on mint 19 AND unbuntu 18 ... but somthings get worse .... so is possible run machine but with not all magic Lcnc function avaiable .... better is use default version .... or upgrade to 2018 SO version at least .... Actually I run my old machine over 2.9.1 .... but my oldest SO is ubuntu 18.04 that is quite equal to mint 19.3 ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ismacr63

More
17 Dec 2023 13:06 #288399 by tommylight
Linux Mint Debian edition 6 is not Debian 6, it is Debian 12.
Error report?
Debug info?
In a terminal
uname -a
The following user(s) said Thank You: bkt, Ismacr63

More
17 Dec 2023 13:24 #288402 by Ismacr63
When I run linuxcnc or the latency test, the PC freezes and I can't do anything, I have to restart it. How can I file a bug report?

More
17 Dec 2023 13:46 #288403 by Ismacr63

Linux Mint Debian edition 6 is not Debian 6, it is Debian 12.
Error report?
Debug info?
In a terminal
uname -a

This is a bug report.
termbin.com/hs2q

Uname -a

Linux isma 5.4.258-rtai-amd64 #2 SMP Thu Oct 19 11:54:56 BST 2023 x86_64 GNU/Linux

More
17 Dec 2023 15:36 #288415 by tommylight
First, do not upload stuff to third party servers, upload here on the forum. Using those websites is always a security hazard, although this one seems OK.
Segmentation fault, usually due to failing memory, but in this case it seems you are using the uspace version of LinuxCNC with an RTAI kernel as the thing causing the segmentation fault is hal.so.
Did you also install the RTAI version of LinuxCNC?

More
17 Dec 2023 16:11 #288423 by Ismacr63

First, do not upload stuff to third party servers, upload here on the forum. Using those websites is always a security hazard, although this one seems OK.
Segmentation fault, usually due to failing memory, but in this case it seems you are using the uspace version of LinuxCNC with an RTAI kernel as the thing causing the segmentation fault is hal.so.
Did you also install the RTAI version of LinuxCNC?

I'm sorry. To upload the file I used an option that Linux Mint itself gives you.
I think the Linux version is rtai, because if I boot linux without the kernel when trying to open linuxcnc it tells me that I have to have the rtai kernel (I have it installed but I don't have it by default at startup)

More
17 Dec 2023 17:08 #288429 by Ismacr63
I am following the steps to install the linuxcnc rtai version from here, linuxcnc.org/docs/html/getting-started/getting-linuxcnc.html+

but when it is installing an error appears and it does not finish installing.

Warning: Spoiler!

More
18 Dec 2023 21:41 #288523 by Ismacr63
I have installed the official iso of debian 12 bookworm and I have tried to install linuxcnc rtai and I get the same error as in linux mint debian edition 6. 

The truth is that I don't know what I'm doing wrong, because the official iso is supposed to install without problems.

More
19 Dec 2023 00:43 - 19 Dec 2023 01:15 #288532 by cornholio
The official ISO is no problem will uspace (rt_preempt), rtai is a different kettle of fish.

Bull In The China Shop Method.

Personally I'd install from the ISO,reboot, install the required RTAI (not rt-preeempt) kernel, reboot making sure to boot with the RTAI kernel, uninstall & purge linuxcnc uspace, reboot, down load the RTAI packages (manually via wget or a web browser) and use gdebi to install the linuxcnc packages.

www.linuxcnc.org/dists/bookworm/2.9-rt/binary-amd64/

You'll need the linux image package and linux headrs package & rtai-modules
www.linuxcnc.org/dists/bookworm/base/binary-amd64/

The same method should work with LMDE6 but without having to uninstall the linuxcnc-uspace packages.

You may have to install gdebi, I'm not to sure of the exact packages installed by default.

Just did a install of LMDE6, manual install of rtai stuff & linuxcnc rt, installation was smooth, first run of latency-histogram failed but when run a second time was ok. This was all tested in VirtualBox 7 using Linuxmint 21 as a host, so latency doesn't mean anything. No guest additions were installed in the guest virtual machine.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2023 01:15 by cornholio.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds