Problem install linuxcnc 2.9.1 RTAI on linux mint debian 6

More
19 Dec 2023 06:23 #288548 by tommylight
Might be just that RTAI does not like some hardware you have, it is especially picky about graphic cards, had several instances where it would stick to lower resolution and no amount of editing xorg helped. Once, only on one PC it would boot fully but the screen would be totaly black.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ismacr63

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2023 22:31 #288621 by Ismacr63

Might be just that RTAI does not like some hardware you have, it is especially picky about graphic cards, had several instances where it would stick to lower resolution and no amount of editing xorg helped. Once, only on one PC it would boot fully but the screen would be totaly black.

I am using a gigabyte h110m ds2 motherboard with i3 6100 processor and 16gb ram. here linuxcnc rtai blocks the pc when starting the latency test or linuxcnc rtai itself. I have installed a pci graphics card but with the rtai kernel it does not start linux. If you start with the grain broth. I have tested on a gigabyte h61m s2pv motherboard with i3 3220 processor, 8gb of ram and linuxcnc 2.9.1 rtai works perfectly with a latency of 9k. Is there an easy way to tell what hardware is causing the problem?

More
19 Dec 2023 23:17 #288625 by rodw
RTAI is old and unmaintained. Its a credit to the guys that they haev been able to keep it going for Linuxcnc for so long.
I would revert to the Debian version on the lhe downloads page linuxcnc.org/downloads/
Please read what it says about RTAI
You will note that is on Debian buster. LMDE is a much more recent kernel and I doubt it would be compatible with LMDE6

More
19 Dec 2023 23:51 #288627 by cornholio
The latest RTAI kernel packages are dated October 29 of this year, so I wouldn't call that old or unmaintained. In actual fact Rod I installed LMDE6 and the RTAI kernel packages on linuxcnc.org in a virtual machine and it booted fine.

I'd start latency-histogram form the command line and see what messages you get. Like I said when I first tried start latency histogram I got an error message, but after running halrun -U then rerunning it the latency-histogram started fine.

More
20 Dec 2023 00:29 #288631 by Ismacr63

The latest RTAI kernel packages are dated October 29 of this year, so I wouldn't call that old or unmaintained. In actual fact Rod I installed LMDE6 and the RTAI kernel packages on linuxcnc.org in a virtual machine and it booted fine.

I'd start latency-histogram form the command line and see what messages you get. Like I said when I first tried start latency histogram I got an error message, but after running halrun -U then rerunning it the latency-histogram started fine.

that's how it is. My problem is with the gigabyte h110m ds2 motherboard.

With the gigabyte h61m s2pv motherboard it worked the first time and everything was perfect without errors with a latency of 9k, as I said before, which for me using a parallel port is very necessary.

I need to try to get it to work on the h100m board since the other motherboard is not mine.

More
20 Dec 2023 00:51 #288634 by tommylight
Since you already have it installed, enter the BIOS settings and try disabling stuff, one by one, it would be nice if you bump into something that helps with these situations.
On very old PC's there was a BIOS setting named "A12 gate" and when left at normal it would cause all kinds of weird stuff in Windows, setting that to fast was a must back then.

More
20 Dec 2023 05:33 - 20 Dec 2023 05:34 #288642 by cornholio
Geesh I haven't seen mention of that option in years.....The Acer Core 2 Duo I have from 2007 doesn't even have that option.

Wasn't your last play with windows was Win11 on a 486 or some such act of self harm ?
Last edit: 20 Dec 2023 05:34 by cornholio.

More
20 Dec 2023 07:43 #288643 by rodw

The latest RTAI kernel packages are dated October 29 of this year, so I wouldn't call that old or unmaintained. 

I think you will find it was reworked in October by one of the linuxcnc devs.

Did you read this on the downloads page?
The more adventurous can install the Bookworm ISO and then install the experimental RTAI kernel as described in  2.9 documents  The kernel-mode RTAI installation can not be used with Mesa Ethernet-interfaced cards. There is not currently a packaged LinuxCNC application image for RTAI (work in progress) but building from source is supported and working.

I have got no interest in the RTAI kernel. I have never attempted to use it.

More
20 Dec 2023 08:10 - 20 Dec 2023 08:11 #288649 by cornholio
Sure are RTAI packages.
www.linuxcnc.org/dists/bookworm/2.9-rt/binary-amd64/

Even linked to them here forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...ian-6?start=0#288532

dsc file lists linux-headers-5.4.258-rtai-amd64 as a dep.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2023 08:11 by cornholio.

More
20 Dec 2023 16:23 #288672 by tommylight

Wasn't your last play with windows was Win11 on a 486 or some such act of self harm ?

LOL, it was XP on 486! :)
Got most views from it, despite failing, so people love failures!?!?!

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds