Trying to install LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W

More
01 Mar 2024 15:36 #294850 by cgy
I hope this message finds you well. I am currently trying to install LinuxCNC on a Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W for a course requirement. Unfortunately, most of the installation guides I have found online are outdated.The Raspberry Pi's current system version is Debian 11 Bullseye. I have successfully applied real-time patches to the Raspberry Pi, and the system version is as follows:
Linux raspberrypi 6.1.74-rt13-v7 #1 SMP PREEMPT_RT Thu Feb 29 16:17:14 CST 2024 armv7l GNU/Linux.My main issue arises when following the official LinuxCNC build instructions. When I use dpkg-checkbuilddeps, it prompts me with the following error: "dpkg-checkbuilddeps: error: Unmet build dependencies: dh-python python-lxml." However, when I try to install these two packages, I receive an error indicating that the packages cannot be located. I have tried several methods to resolve this issue but have been unsuccessful.I would greatly appreciate any assistance or guidance you can provide on how to resolve this issue. Thank you very much for your time and support.Best regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2024 15:47 #294851 by tommylight
Did you do
sudo apt update
Before trying to install missing packages?

More
01 Mar 2024 16:16 #294852 by cgy
Yes, I have already attempted this operation, but unfortunately, it didn't work. I also tried "sudo apt-get install lxml" based on some online suggestions. It showed that I have already installed this package under Python 3, but it seems that what is needed now is lxml for Python 2, which is causing me quite a headache.

Additionally, I can install the dh-python package, but it brings up another issue: "The following packages have unmet dependencies: dh-python : Breaks: python E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages." This results in two other dependencies, python and python-dev, being unable to be detected.

More
01 Mar 2024 21:51 #294866 by rodw
Sometimes you need to google a bit to find what package to install
Debian 11 support was not great.
A alternative might be to use a Debian Bookworm image instead of the pi raspi.debian.net/tested-images/
They appear to have one for your hardware. You can also look at the daily images if you know what one to use.
You will also need to create a user as it just gives you a root user, then add it to the sudoers group.
the PREEMPT_RT kernel should be able to be installed from the debian repositories
You can install a gui  while logged in as the root user with
apt install tasksel
tasksel

then select the XFCE desktop.

If you look at the 2.9 getting linuxcnc doc, there is a script which will install linuxcnc for you without building from source. It may work for you but not sure if you are going to end up with 32 bit or 64 bit.

More
01 Mar 2024 21:54 #294867 by rodw
Here is how to do this on the Raspberry Pi,
docs.google.com/document/d/1S0K-UBlXnsYC...b_0/edit?usp=sharing
BUt to install linuxcnc, try the script I mentioned first.

More
02 Mar 2024 01:34 #294878 by cornholio
1GHz and 512MB......does you instructor not like you ?Once you have it installed, if you can run a config all power to you.If the instructor asks you to machine this, maybe you should get them some help. 

Attachments:

More
02 Mar 2024 07:38 #294885 by cgy
Thank you very much for your answer. I will try to switch to the Bookworm system, but I can only use a 32-bit system because using a 64-bit system on the Zero-2 W causes the core to hang and fail to start after installing preempt-rt.

More
03 Mar 2024 18:31 #295072 by cakeslob
github.com/iforce2d/weenyPRU

check in with this guy, he installed it recently on a pi zero

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds