Lots of troubles [solved]

More
12 Jul 2009 21:07 - 14 Jul 2009 03:03 #526 by Edge
Edit: The problem was with my on board LAN, if you have a similar problem, try disabling it!

I would really like to use EMC2 with my machiene but whenever I put in the live disk to install I get something like:

"udevd-event[1282]: run_program: '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit"

So...some kinda compatibility with hardware it sounds? Neither Drake or Hardy installed.

I then installed 8.04.2 and volia it works! But unfortunently it's the wrong kernel (2.6.24-24-generic) where as this one demands 2.6.24-16-rtai.

I tried installing RTAI in synaptic package manager but that didn't really help. I then tried to downgrade the kernel, but I then started getting a "ALERT! dev/disk/by-uuid/randomcodeshere does not exist! Dropping to shell!". I then attempted to recompile it, but thats just way over my head.

I'm really getting annoyed now...why are you guys stuck with this one kernel?
Last edit: 14 Jul 2009 03:03 by Edge.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2009 13:36 #528 by mozmck
Replied by mozmck on topic Re:Lots of troubles
It sounds like you have just installed the standard Ubuntu. The easiest way to get all the correct packages you need is to follow the instructions at the top of this page: wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Installing_EMC2

1.2. On Ubuntu 8.04 using precompiled EMC2 packages
If you have already installed Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron", you can install emc2 without reinstalling your whole system. Simply download and run the installation script:

linuxcnc.org/hardy/emc2-install.sh

Save the emc2-install.sh to your desktop or a directory where you can find it. Right click on the file, select the "Properties" menu item at the bottom of the list, and go to the "Permissions" tab in the dialog that will open. Make sure the box that says "Allow executing file as program" is checked, and close the dialog. Then you can double click the file to run it. That should install the correct kernel and all the packages you need to run EMC2

More
13 Jul 2009 18:36 - 13 Jul 2009 19:54 #530 by Edge
Replied by Edge on topic Re:Lots of troubles
Thanks for the reply but still no luck. I reinstalled Ubuntu and followed the procedure, rebooted, it used the old kernel, so I rebooted again got to GRUB and selected 2.6.24-16-rtai, and after that, it did the back and forth loading screen for a very long time (5min at least). Finally when the screen changed I saw the old error flicker again: "udevd-event[1282]: run_program: '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit"

This this error:
[img=http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/8739/errora.th.jpg]

Update:
I was able to get into 2.6.24-16 after I edited the boot with all_generic_ide at the end, but it takes a super long time to get in and all the drivers are missing including the parallel port and its running in low graphics mode.

Could someone just recompile it to work on 2.6.24-24? It'd make my life so much easier. I'm getting reports that all these errors are bugs in the kernel...so much for long term support. <_<
Last edit: 13 Jul 2009 19:54 by Edge.

More
13 Jul 2009 22:28 #531 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Lots of troubles
Are you booting up from the EMC LiveCD then doing the install?

John

More
14 Jul 2009 00:57 - 14 Jul 2009 01:03 #532 by Edge
I haven't been able to boot from either one of the EMC distributed CD's, no matter if I choose install or live demo. It always loads a bit, hangs on something, and returns:

"udevd-event[xxxx]: run_program: '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit"

I know the cd's aren't bad because I've tried to install via flash drive, and got the same message. I also used the same disk on a different machine and worked well (but that machines mobo died, so I had to rebuild one). And the cd drive should be fine also, since the official release of 8.04 installs with no problems.

Here are my system specs:
M/B : Biostar G31 - M7 TE
CPU : Intel Celeron 1.8ghz
RAM : 2gig Patriot
HDD : 80gig Seagate IDE
DISK : SATA dvd drive
Last edit: 14 Jul 2009 01:03 by Edge.

More
14 Jul 2009 02:39 #533 by Edge
Okay I think I'm getting to the bottom of this. It has to do with a motherboard incapatibilty that was fixed in the later 8.04 version. At least, thats what I'm judging it to be after finding a similar topic with a guy that has the same exact motherboard and results similar to what I had: forums.techguy.org/unix-linux/804772-maj...04-installation.html

So the only solution I see is recompiling it on 8.04.2 or 8.10 or anything newer. If no one can do it for me, can someone at least tell me what I need to do?

More
14 Jul 2009 03:00 #534 by Edge
Hallelujah! I turns out.....it was the on board LAN causing all the trouble! YEA weirdest thing ever. I disabled it and it's working happily now. I'm so glad I got this running, it's sooo much nicer than that bloated Mach 3 program.

More
14 Jul 2009 03:28 #535 by mozmck
A motherboard incompatibility does sound likely. Someone on irc suggested hardware incompatibilities as well.

You can compile your own kernel, but it can be time consuming to get it all correct. The following links have the information you need for all this, but you'll need to read them carefully.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?RtaiSteps
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Installing_EMC2

More
14 Jul 2009 03:29 #536 by mozmck
Ooops, I should have refreshed before I posted! Glad you got it working.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds