Retrofit cnc plasma help needed desperately

More
14 May 2024 08:19 #300561 by CNC-Martin
Hi everybody.
I am new here, how ever this forum is not new to me.
I have a cnc plasma machine with was retrofited 9 years ago. The supplier went bankrupt in 2018 and I was looking into linux cnc ever since. (but not brave enough to install it and experimenting....)
The original machine was a Messer Griesheim Cortina S 2600, the retrofit included the servo, main computer, ac motors and gears, a IHT height control and a Kjellberk High Focus 160i.
Now a small software problem throws this machine out of service and I am looking for a solution.
Who can help me to install and configurate linux cnc on this machine. Is there any service or did anybody know who can do that remotely, I am very happy to pay for the time and effort.
I am not sure whether It is appropriate to offer money on this forum but I am very desperate.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2024 11:16 #300571 by tommylight
This might give you some idea on what is involved in such a project:
forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/47357...sma-cutting-machines
In the meantime, take some pictures of everything and post them here on the forum so we can have a look.

More
14 May 2024 14:44 #300577 by CNC-Martin
Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Great project indeed.
You have still the DC motors which I replaced on my machine already. I will take pics tomorrow and post them here. The hard ware from the 1. retrofit is still like brand new, the target will be to use much of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
15 May 2024 11:13 #300673 by CNC-Martin
Ok busy day today here are some basic pictures.We also found a way to twist the damaged software and we are able to cut how ever with more time and effort. But the pressure is now off and I can spend much more time to go through the linux cnc soft ware. Again the machine went through a retrofit in 2016 hence the hardware should be not complete outdated.
1. Which version of linux cnc should I download. Please advice a complete package including the OS and Kernel.
2. I want to install it along the windows 7 as some configuration files from the old cnc control might be needed. Is that possible?
3. Do you think any of the existing hard ware could be used by linux cnc? 

More
15 May 2024 12:15 #300675 by rodw
The 2.9.2 ISO on the downloads page includes everything you need. A few people have retofitted similar sized machines with QTplasmac.
It is possible to install linux onto an existing windows HDD and you can access the windows drive from Linux and select the OS from the GRUB boot menu.
I had a PC set up like ths until I did something silly and broke Windows Totally.
I have two Dual boot PC's with seperate drives for Linux and Windows which I boot from the BIOS boot menu. No sharing. One of the Windows partitions broke. The other one is still OK. I use Linux for everything now.

Another alternative might be to use seperate PC's and map shares across the network using SAMBA. This works nicely for file sharing... but not trivial to set up (Although Win7 should be easier than Win 10/11 which disabled some required policies)
The following user(s) said Thank You: besriworld

More
15 May 2024 12:36 #300676 by Aciera
Most important thing would be to know what command interface the motor drives are using. Analog voltage and step/direction should be fine anything else would be most likely problematic.

More
16 May 2024 12:25 #300734 by CNC-Martin
@ rodw. Thank you I will do it asap. And yes I also use Linux since 2009. Such a relief. 2 Lap top dual boot. I am definitely not a computer geek but the change was worth the effort. Deskt. Mint una XFCE lean easy great.
@ Acira yes indeed I attached the SDI Interface manual. (Copy rights should not be a problem the company does not exist anymore) As I understood there is a plug with analog inputs. But I also would agree to change the servo as I don t know where I get it fixed or get a replacement. Which servos you would recomend?

Attachments:

More
16 May 2024 13:07 - 16 May 2024 13:07 #300737 by RDA
I took a Quick Look a the “manual”. It has no info about what the analog inputs can be used for, a vague mention about some (probably proprietary) bus system and no mentions about how to set any parameters.

I would probably scrap the idea of using the existing motors and just replace them. I might be wrong but that manual does not really help at all.
Last edit: 16 May 2024 13:07 by RDA.

More
16 May 2024 13:47 #300742 by Aciera
Yes, looks like the drives and motors need to be replaced. I have not had to replace motors on any of my projects, I've heard good things about DELTA Drives but others will have more hands on experience with that.

More
16 May 2024 14:22 #300750 by CNC-Martin
Went through some of the details in your Messer Project and as far as I understood is that pretty much non of my existing equipment is usable.
Question
You used the old dc motors but you changed the encoder is that right? I have still the old dc motors. If I could understand which encoder and how to fit it onto the old dc motors I would have the same situation as you - Gecko dc servo drive Mesa card, and Z drive ...we will see. Could you please comment that.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds