Unable to start after installing real-time kernel

More
24 May 2024 13:48 - 24 May 2024 14:08 #301311 by 911061873
I encountered a problem while trying to install LinuxCNC on my VIA machine. After installing using the LinuxCNC image file directly, the kernel failed to start after loading.
After installing Debian, it can be started, but even after manually installing the real-time kernel, it still cannot be started.
Last edit: 24 May 2024 14:08 by 911061873.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2024 08:57 #301384 by andypugh
For some reason my browser is refusing to view the imgur link, And I don't feel inclined to force the issue given that you are newly signed-up user and this seems to be your first post...

How have you installed LinuxCNC, which Debian version? Which realtime kernel?

If you have a working Debian installation then you can try installing the realtime kernel separately, directly from the Debian repositories.

Search for linux-image-rt in the Synaptic package manager.

More
25 May 2024 11:04 - 25 May 2024 11:05 #301401 by cornholio
Honestly I have doubts about whether a 1Ghz is suitable for Linuxcnc.

It's really hard to tell to tell why & why it's failing without seeing any boot messages.

If you remove the quiet from the kernel command line in grub some messages might pop and give an indication as to why it's failing.
Last edit: 25 May 2024 11:05 by cornholio.

More
25 May 2024 11:22 #301402 by andypugh
It might be worth trying the 2.8 or even 2.7 installer, then updating LinuxCNC as far as it will go.

More
25 May 2024 13:35 #301407 by tommylight
Upload the pictures here on the forum, not on third party sites.
I can see the pictures, there is nothing useful there to troubleshoot.
If the PC gets stuck as in the picture and it does not go further, first thing i would check is the CPU cooling, then power supply, but first, try to boot Linux Mint on it, if this works then it would probably be something kernel/hardware related, so there are still options, easy ones, but if it does not = the PC is not OK.

More
26 May 2024 13:03 #301476 by rodw
From the messges, it would appear you are victim of secure boot. An encrypted drive is useless. I threw one out this week Windows corrupted
It is possible to unencrypt a drive while running Windows and if this is not done before attempting to install another OS, the drive is not recoverable ( SO a HP tecnician told me)

More
27 May 2024 09:58 #301556 by cornholio
The OP said he had no issues installing & running a Stock debian image, the kernel messages have detected a clean file system.

dd can fix anything.
sgtools can reformat a 520 drive to 512, so I reckon what the HP tech told aint quite right.

More
27 May 2024 13:09 #301579 by tommylight
DD can not get over a HDD password, but everything else, yes it can.
Now if windoze sets a HDD password when encrypting, that would be a nice reason to sue them for destroying your property.
That is to far fetched as that would require entering that password during POST, but UEFI can do that easily, so ... or it can use TPM...
I hate UEFI and Secure Boot (there is nothing secure about it) and TPM and....MS! :)

More
27 May 2024 15:19 #301592 by cornholio
Apparently hdparm can do it, but ya gunna lose ya data, but at least you'll have a disk that can be used.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds