linuxcnc_2.9.1-amd64.hybrid.iso Intallation fail

More
24 May 2024 23:26 #301363 by kzali
I am trying to install linuxcnc_2.9.1-amd64.hybrid.iso, on an intel nuc core i5 8gb Ram.  It has wlan and LAN.  Connected to LAN.  The live version works including networking! but if I try an install it goes to a stage where it asks for some intel network drivers.  when i cancel it just goes to a screen where it says setting up network and freezes.  I used Rufus to make the usb (Never had this problem with 2.8 versions,  have dowloaded twice and checked with two different usb's.  Totally stumped, can some seniors advise.  I am new to Linux.
Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2024 02:24 #301367 by cornholio
It's going to be helpful to mention the nic chipset. I've found it to be an issue with the 2.5GB realtek chips. From what I've seen it appears to be a firmware issue.

Tho I have advised on how to get around this issue.

More
25 May 2024 03:39 #301371 by kzali
It has an intel nic chipset. I didnt fully comrehend the workaround you had advised. By that I mean which version of debian and deskktop etc

More
25 May 2024 08:04 #301377 by cornholio
Grab a bookworm netinstall iso.

Install XFCE desktop.

Then install Linuxcnc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
25 May 2024 08:37 #301380 by kzali
Thanks Mate you are alway an inspiration
Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
29 May 2024 12:31 #301747 by cornholio
Another option is to use the text installer > expert mode and manually configure the network, post installation this can be changed to DHCP or left as a static address.

More
03 Jun 2024 10:25 #302233 by rodw
I now exclusively use Balena Etcher to burn ISO's. It is by far the best.
The later versions of linux are harder to install so  have had issues with rufus

More
03 Jun 2024 13:37 - 03 Jun 2024 13:57 #302240 by cornholio
Cos I’m lazy I use Ubuntu’s USB Image writer, which does the same job as dd.

Warning: The next bit has written in the way of my culture, Australian, and may appear to some I don’t like Rod and am being abusive. If I didn’t like the bloke and appreciate all his hard I’d be way way more formal.

But I really don’t see how that would affect the installer getting a dynamic address. Which seems to be the issue.

It’s a bit effing tiring to see answers being similar to those you’d get from a Windows forum. It would be nice to see the creator actually being interested and looking into the problem.
Look Rod What I’ve seen you’re a bad bloke but ffs can you give support if you’re going to create images ?
Yeah yeah Andy tested and approved them, as you said in another thread, but ol Andy ain’t gunna pick up every issue.
It’s frustrating for me, and I’ve been around the block, but for newcomers it must be a pain, and this is not the first time I’ve said that.
Look whether it’s an issue on our side or an issue on debian’s some of us would like to know. If it is a Debian issue a link to where it’s been raised would be nice for those that are curious.
If I sound a bit pissed off it’s because I am.
I know for certain the net installer doesn’t have these issues. I know it’s not my DHCP server as every other device on my site works fine and has done for as long as I’ve been running pfsense. There’s no overlap between my static & dynamic pool.
What I’m saying is we need an answer more than pertaining to the utility used to write the image.
And I haven’t just tried this with one iso. I downloaded it different times on different days and I rather inclined to think the same bytes would not be being corrupted each time.
Like I’ve mentioned before booting live has no issues getting an IP it’s just when going with installer.

If you wanna point me in the direction to where the info is for creating an iso I’m up for it. But it would be nice if the creator was willing to look into it.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2024 13:57 by cornholio.

More
04 Jun 2024 05:43 #302294 by besriworld
I had a similar problem. Have you tried manually downloading the network driver? There are instructions on the web how to load them manually.
The other thing you can try is to remove the flash drive and reload.

More
04 Jun 2024 11:05 #302304 by cornholio
No need to manually load network driver.

No need to remove the flash drive and reinsert, as these aren't the issue.

The issue appears to be when the installer can't get a IP via dhcpv6, it stalls.

The Fix is simple.

When booting press TAB on the installer entry.
This will give you the "kernel command line"
Press the space bar then type ipv6.disable=1, then proceed to boot.

ATM I have only tested this suing VirtualBox on a Linux Mint host.

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds